Am not happy!!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mitasol

Post by mitasol »

In the types of school you are discussing Saturday has traditionally been seen as a school day. Taking time off for a birthday party :shock: .... it's the thin end of the wedge! :lol:

Don't fret, just play it by ear. :D
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Schools "like this" do consider matters on compassionate grounds but frankly a birthday party is quite rightly not one of them.

People who think that independent schools are all about just buying the bits that suit them are sorely mistaken.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

People who think that independent schools are all about just buying the bits that suit them are sorely mistaken.
I can definitely vouch for that! :(
KB

Post by KB »

Going back to the original issue I was appaulled by the way the master spoke to a child & there can be no excuse for that behaviour.

However as a general point I do agree that if you choose to 'buy into' a fee paying school then you do have to take the whole package. That doesn't mean you don't complain if your child is treated badly, teaching isn't up to scratch etc but it does mean complying with the culture of the school and that usually includes a commitment to extra-curricular activities - sport, music, religious services...

Many people choose fee paying schools because they provide these opportunities & one of the ways they deliver both a high standard and the depth of provision is by getting the commitment from staff, pupils & parents that many state schools find it hard to 'enforce'.

Its just another case of you get out what you put in - if you want to play in a decent orchestra then you (& everyone else) has to give priority to turning up to rehearsals & the same for rugby, drama productions....
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:
I can definitely vouch for that! :(
Ditto.
Have been at loggerheads with Headmaster on a few occasions.
It's a clash of their routines and culture with our convenience. :oops:

I think we can all in this instance agree that the master's behaviour was reprehensible.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Chardom, do let us know what happened. I personally am dying to know if DS had his party or not.
chardom

Post by chardom »

Thanks to everyone who has aired their (very differing!) views this week on my dilemma! DS, who turned 12 last weekend, had a fantasic time with his family and friends! :D Finally managed to get hold of the teacher in question this morning :roll: and had a good chat about the situation. I explained that DS was upset and I was angry about his comments and he said that on reflection he felt his comments to DS had been unfair. I told him that as DS is not on a sports scholarship and plays in the 2nd team anyway, as he is more of an academic than a sportsman, (although he does try his best) I had been totally unaware that making weekend plans for his birthday was out of the question. Teacher pointed out that all pupils, regardless of their sporting ability, are expected to be 100% committed to school whenever required.
On a similar point, I was talking to another parent in DS' s form yesterday and she is trying to plan her son's birthday party but can't book it until the school has ok'd the dates and confirmed there are no fixtures so I would imagine that will be me too next year! :wink:
Anyway back to the main point, it was all sorted very amicably and the situation is now hopefully resolved! :) DS is playing a match tomorrow and I will make sure I have him there super-early to show my willingness towards school Saturdays! :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

Glad its all turned out OK :)
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

And day boys/girls at Rugby have to turn up for Chapel at least four times a term on Sunday morning at 9.45am in full uniform of course - not complaining - just saying it is a considerable commitment!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

remember that at my church primary we had to turn in school uniform on a number of sundays each year.

Any "I play football / swim / can't wake up / parents can't bring me on a sunday morning"

were met with "well you and parents would be going to church on sunday anyway wouldn't you, so you can come here instead" :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now