school fees

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gina from clacton

Post by gina from clacton »

No Gina, my wages don't go up, just maybe 2% a year. I am a civil servant. I jumped through hoops to get my promotion to enable my child to go to the school but it seems that they are always wanting money!

yes thats our problem too, although noone advises you of this when you join the school, i would advise any would be parents to speak to parents already there, and ask how much the fees go up, we all know everything goes up but doubling in 8 years is crazy
gina from clacton

now i really do give in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate computers, but have not laughed so much on a sunday morning while having a moan!

Post by Guest »

Woah! Now you are scaring me. I'm now going to give up on the idea of producing 'An idiots guide to elevenplusexam parents forum'. Just when I thought I had a money spinner going to pay my £130 school maintainance fees!!
guests

Post by guests »

hello

have enjoyed computer lesson as could never work it out myself either, but just wanted to say that our very small independent school really offers value for money. Fees do go up but compared to other private schools around it is fantastic. we don't have a school kitchen so children take packed lunches (obviously provided by parents).

We always pay for school trips - around £10 - £15 each time. When it comes to games matches at other schools we all club together with cars and take children to/from venues ourselves. It is not flashy and we do have to pay for uniform but have a great second-hand shop to help and most parents manage. I have been so impressed by the quality of care our children receive and for such a relatively low fee, especially when I see the product of some of the other more expensive schools locally at the children's dance classes etc.

Having said that, if they raised the fees by %10 to %25, we would have to take our children away as we just couldn't afford to keep them. I would expect to be given some idea of how much the fees would rise when I registered with the school in the first place?
milesjames

Fees

Post by milesjames »

I have two sons in different prep schools and 2 in state schools.
The fees have increased every year (6 years) by about 13 % p.a.
I pay for school trips regardless of the school and have to buy the uniform regardless of the school being private or state too.
Basically you are paying for lower teacher/ pupil ratio and a much better
attitude from your childs peers.
the only way to avoid all these fees is to remove them and send them to a state school and in my experience I would not advise it.
gina from clacton

Posted
: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 pm Post subject: Fees

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two sons in different prep schools and 2 in state schools.
The fees have increased every year (6 years) by about 13 % p.a.
I pay for school trips regardless of the school and have to buy the uniform regardless of the school being private or state too.
Basically you are paying for lower teacher/ pupil ratio and a much better
attitude from your childs peers.
the only way to avoid all these fees is to remove them and send them to a state school and in my experience I would not advise it.
thanks for that, its nice to know itis not just our school!!
may i ask what differences you have found, as you say you have 2 in state system, and are the prep schools very different too. how do you cope with getting 4 kids to 3 different schools?? i have enough trouble making 8.45 to one school!
milesjames

Schools

Post by milesjames »

Two go by bus together as their schools are close by (1 private 1 state)
One gets dropped off by car who starts at 08:20 (private) and the last gets taken into school (starts 08:45) he is the youngest and just 9.
The amount of homework differs greatly, from once a week + spellings in the state primary. To 4 subjects a night in the private prep (yr 6).
I have a son who was bullied at a state school to such an extent he made himself physically ill, and we took him to hospital etc for examinations etc.
The childrens attitudes vary vastly in state schools. I think it is more to do with the parents attitudes as to how their children behave. All those at private schools have sent their children there because they care about a decent well structured education (always exceptions to any rule tho'). and this is reflected in the childrens behaviour and attitude and manners.
In stae schools I find the majority of the childrens attitudes are less ambitious and focused. Also the work is less difficult and not as taxing.
Sorry if I sound snobbish, I am not. I know parents of stse school children also care about their kids, but I have experienced both systems and would recommend prep schools to any one.
It does not guarantee sucess either. When my eldest son took the 11+
there were 5 boys in his year who took it and only 2 passed.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are some excellent Primary schools in Bucks - high proportion of level 5s at KS2 and many getting into the Grammar schools.

I don't think you can 'write off' state Primaries on the basis of those around where you live.
Jed

Post by Jed »

I agree with Guest 55. State schools vary enormously, but there are also plenty of mediocre prep schools. Teachers don't have to be qualified in the private sector and at the end of the day the schools usually have to make a profit.

Although many prep schools DO care about the pupils and I'm not doubting that your son is much happier, there have been some comments on this forum about private schools that make the parents feel exploited or try to ease out underperforming pupils who need extra support. So there are down sides.

I always remember a relative of mine who was a school inspector. She said "Beware of thinking just because you're paying and they have piles of homework that the education is better".

Jed
Waiting and hoping

Post by Waiting and hoping »

There must be a better way!
We have struggled to keep my son in a private prep for the last 4 years and the fees have risen nearly 10% each year.

We moved him to the private sector because he was very unhappy at his state primary (although my 2 younger childen have thrived there) and I would dearly love him to stay where he is (the school teaches up to 18yrs).

Our dilemma is that I feel I have to offer all 3 of my children the same opportuntiy at high school. He was in line for an academic scholarship but this is only worth £500 a year at his school!! A lovely honour, but it doesn't pay the fees. We are just above the income limit for bursaries, which pay up to 50% of the fees. However even if we did qualify we would be left with less than £500 per month to pay mortgage/ council tax/ food/ clothing/transport so the system is obviously designed for families with only one child!

The fees for 3 would be well in excess of £2500 per month, (with further annual increases of who knows what) which we just cannot afford so I am desperately hoping that my son will get into the only grammar in our neighbouring LEA (ours has none), otherwise I will feel I have failed him completely, he has been so happy where he is.
I worry he will be eaten alive at our local comprehensive.

Why can't the government offer school vouchers, as they did for nursery education?
There must be a fairer system.