Removal of Bursuries and Scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
supermum2

Removal of Bursuries and Scholarships

Post by supermum2 »

Hello all, hope you can help as I am really wanted to know the realty to my theory on the matter. My ds very talented in a few areas and has a good chance of a possible scholarship in 2 independant schools(heres hoping). My concerns are that he can be a little chatty and sometimes cheeky which often rubs the primary school teachers up the wrong way.

If we were lucky to be offered a good state school and an independant, I "as a worryer" would worry that the independent would remove a scholarship at ease, due to his cheekyness leaving DS with no school. I have heard that some schools are quick to remove scholarships/burseries. State schools are more keen to work with the child to rectify any issues and put appropriate sanctions in place.

Can you tell me what Whitgift school is like in relation to removing scholarships and burseries?

Many thanks ( worry parent)
All I need now is wings!
push-pull-mum

Re: Removal of Bursuries and Scholarships

Post by push-pull-mum »

Not a Whitgift expert (though used to live in Croydon and remember the little horrors on the buses!) but my niece is at Caterham with a bursary and is an absolute horror. Her mother been up at the school several times about her behaviour but there has never been any suggestion of removing bursary unless she is so disruptive that she is asked to leave in any case. They do expect children on bursaries to perform extremely well academically throughout their time at the school but I don't imagine they expect them to be any better behaved than any other pupil.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

In the experience of my DD's school bursaries and scholarships are more likely to be threatened by poor academic performance than behaviour.

[quote][/quote]state schools are more keen to work with the child to rectify any issues and put appropriate sanctions in place.

Actually completely disagree with that comment. One of the main pluses of my DD independent school is the amount of attention devoted to the requirements of each individual, whether they be academic, emotional or behavioural. Of course this is a lot easier in classes of 15!
emmsie

Post by emmsie »

My son is at Trinity on a bursary and even though he has a poor disciplinary record there has never been any suggestion of his bursary being removed. As for scholarships I have only heard of one boy having his removed and in my sons words 'that boy was thick!' so I wouldn't worry too much. You do need to reapply for a bursary every year which is a pain in the butt as the paperwork is onerous. From what I have heard from Whitgift parents (and I know a few!!) I would be suprised if the situation is any different there. Hope this helps
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now