what do you do if you're 'on the waiting list'?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: what do you do if you're 'on the waiting list'?

Post by mad? »

questions wrote:Oh that sounded more miserable than it was meant to - thanks for your comment and for your good luck wishes :)
No worries, but sincerely good luck and those waiting lists DO move...
mad?
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

Yes, at least some definitely do. At that point, I think that they reiterate the pupil's strong points, work ethic, interest in the school etc and, I am pretty sure, also whether the parents are supportive of both their child and the primary school, i.e. have the parents been willing to work with the primary school? Think of it as a verbal reference to back up the written one.
I don't think that there is any point in headteachers doing this until after offers have been made, though, unless there are extenuating circumstances with regard to the exam or interview, which should be explained.
How much difference it makes I don't know. I suppose that it depends on the relationship between the primary and the secondary but I tend to think that it could make a difference, in the same way that I would take seriously verbal comments on a job application.
questions

Post by questions »

Thanks Sue (I had to nip out to pick up DS or would have replied sooner)

I will print your reply off and hand it to our headteacher to give her some guidance on how the call should go!

Offers have been made for this school but I think you're right, another few days and all offers at all the independents will be out, so probably more movement on the lists and more point making those phone calls next week.
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

OK - picking up this topic as we have been waitlisted for our top school (G&L) but have to start giving replies to other schools fairly soon.

How on earth do we manage this?? I have let the school know we are super keen, and will call again on Monday and hopefully find out where we are on the list (if they tell you that). I'm just wondering what the chances are of them knowing their numbers in time for us to accept another school if we have to! Anyone been through this? Any tips?

Had no idea at all how stressful this end of things would be. Luckily I have convinced DD that she did really well even to get on the waiting list, as we know several people who didn't get any kind of offer from G&L.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Waiting lists must be so difficult. What if there is one child with only an offer from G&L and they want the second choice offer that the other person who wants G&L. :?
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

If you are wait listed you might need to hold your nerve up to the very last day before you need to accept one school. A lot of indies and grammars are competing for the same children and there are many families waiting for National Offers day. Lots of indies have spaces once the National Offers have been made. Also, as can be seen from this site a great many children have received multiple offers and spaces will become available once various offers are let go.
2GirlsDad

Post by 2GirlsDad »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Waiting lists must be so difficult. What if there is one child with only an offer from G&L and they want the second choice offer that the other person who wants G&L. :?
Deadlock even with so much movement is a theoretical possibility. But even in that unlikely scenario, certainly there's sufficient irrationality in everybody's decisions to unblock it!
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

My suggestions:

1. Decide how much you want the preferred school. Is it sufficient to lose a deposit and a terms fees to the back up school.
2. Speak to your current Head, especially if they have good experience of independent Secondary entry, and ask their advice. If it is a prep they should see it as part of their job to help get your child to the next stage. This is, in part, what you have been paying for.
3. Phone the Registrar of the wait list school as soon as possible. Explain that this is absolutely your preferred school, and why, and what your deadline is on the fall back. You need to manage your child's expectations so whilst you recognise that they too don't have a complete picture, you would appreciate as good summary of the position as they can give. Remember you are on the waitlist because your child is good enough. They wont know how many they will need to take off the waitlist so if there is a realistic chance of offering you a place they will want you to wait. Say you will phone back about three days before your fall back deadline, and if there is still hope, phone back on the deadline day itself.
4. Hand carry the acceptance of the fall back school at the last possible minute - up to you whether you warn them that this is what you plan to do, so they too can better manage their list. They can't take away the place and who knows, they may be aware of a family in the reverse position.
5. After the deadline has passed phone back to confirm that you are still interested, would be willing to lose the deposit on the other school etc, and ask about the chances. Things happen, particularly over Easter, and if you have a realistic chance they will want to keep you on board. At this point many will have given up hope and you may hear, as a friend did, that you will be the next one in.
6. Keep phoning every two weeks to demonstrate that you are still interested, particularly just before the start of the summer term when the first terms fees become due. As time goes on, the school's priority will be to offer the place to someone who is likely to accept. With the larger schools places do come up as people's circumstances change, right up to the start of term, and sometimes beyond.
7. If the place comes up very late I would be tempted to ask the school if there is anything they can offer to help offset the lost deposit, terms fees and possibly uniform cost. I know of one girl who made a late switch cushioned by the offer of an art exhibition. The school will have banked the deposit of the person who dropped out.

Good luck. I can think of at least three girls who accepted very late places and who are thriving. It was expensive but the parents feel they are in the right schools. Interestingly all three are doing really well academically, with no indication that they were the last ones in.
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

Thanks for your help everyone. I've been following this forum for a while now, and I must say I really appreciate the support and advice to be found here.

I think I've done everything I can for the moment, and I'm going to pursue the school as much as I decently can next week. The worry for us is that the second choice school require a massive deposit, and I don't think we can afford to lose that. I'm trying to take a philosophical view and think that whatever is meant to be will be.

This is how I feel I look at the moment - not through shock but stress! :shock:
Millennium

Post by Millennium »

We are on the waiting list for Bancroft and we are waiting on monday for the call to come in. Our second choice was not decided and now we are looking into Forest and Chigwell both are good schools but he still has his mind on Bancroft we can't decide some say forest is good and some say Chigwell. If Bancroft decide to offer after the deadline then we take it as its his first choice. All the best.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now