State V private at primary level ?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MAZER66

Re: State V private at primary level ?

Post by MAZER66 »

Prep school is the biggest waste of money you could imagine!
My state schooled student almost always out-performs their prepped counterparts!
I would suggest start home tutoring now, and use a profesional tutor in the last 6/12.
No doubt I will upset many on this forum, as I almost invariably do, judging from my PM's :lol:
the truth hurts!
ps I should make it clear I am a tutor( so I have my own biase , I know)
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

On balance, I agree that you'd be better off as a family staying put. You are aware of the shortcomings the school now has, and that's the main thing. Help your 3rd child by buying KS2 books, and ensuring he has a really solid grasp of all the requirements up to level 6 by the end of Yr 6. There's great advice on here about which books suit which schools for 11+. Spend your money on holidays and theatre trips the whole family can benefit from which will help broaden his knowledge long term, and on musical and 11+ tuition if that's what seems appropriate for him.

Can you speak to the ex-head-governor about your concerns for the shift in the school's ethos, and the teachers leaving?

Don't underestimate the stress of moving house and school and possible sibling resentment on a child who is probably not that aware things are less ideal for him at the school than they were for his siblings. These could all have negative impacts too.

Own experience: our school went through a very bad patch. Pupils in our year left in droves. One close friend put son in private. Two years on, he hasn't settled and has school phobia and tantrums. He wants to be with his friends. Others shifted to the next nearest primary. Not better there, just different. Most took problems with them. We really thought about switching but chose to stay and make up the (pretty gaping) short fall in DC's knowledge brought on by lacklustre schooling.

It's worked so far, and the best thing is that the DC are very happy and we're not financially broke. Yet. (Indies for secondary - different story!)
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Do remember that moving is one of the most stressful things you can do! It's also terrifically expensive - stamp duty, estate agents fees, solicitors, removals etc etc. it's 3 years since I moved and I can tell you I will only leave this house in a small(ish) box! Ds (then 5) took a very long time to adjust - add a change of school and I'm not sure how beneficial that would be. Are you sure you can't fill in the gaps yourself?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Consider flexi-schooling too if you don't work full-time and your school will give permission.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Cor,that's what I love about you lot. I disappear from these forums for a while,come back with a new question, & bam ! You tell it like it is :D
A heartfelt thanks to you all for taking the time to reply. You've given me plenty of food for thought,from the fact that he may not settle,to the incidental costs involved in moving,to using any money to fund one or more children for university,which,to be honest, would be the fairest thing. And surely I should think positively about buying those 11plus books & concentrating on helping him more at home.

I'm still undecided,& admit to having emailed the new school to confirm we'll be at thier open day,however,we won't be taking DS with us as previously planned. There's no harm in my being a total nosey parker,but there's every need not to upset him. Either with thoughts of leaving his friends,or,finding he absolutely loves the look of it then is left disappointed if our moving plans fail to come to fruition.
At the moment he's just a little boy looking forward to his Birthday party .
Thanks again everyone :D
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Flexi-schooling ? Our posts crossed mystery,but thankyou.
Not something I've heard of before. I work part-time,so worth looking into from my point of view,however,I'm quite sure the head would shoot us down in flames. Her way,or,no way !
mystery

Post by mystery »

That might not be the case if you phrase your request ever so nicely, and ask for it on a very limited short-term basis.
dlb

Post by dlb »

Personally - I would just pay for tutoring to keep maths and english up to the level they need to be at and to make up for any shortfalls the primary school may have. Then tutor year 5 for 11+! Good Luck!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

Mazer66 Having read some of your comments I detect a bit of an old chip on the shoulder! sorry to have to say this. You seem to have a very poor opinion of Prep Schools.From my experience in having had 4 children through Prep School I feel that we have been so fortunate to have been able to give our children such an amazing start to their education they grew and flourished, had fun participated in an array of sports and had some exceptional teachers.
We did not use tutors for 11 plus exams, I ensured the homework was completed and discussed it with them, We encouraged reading a wide variety of books and I did recite times tables with them in the car. They all passed the 11 plus and gained places at our local highly regarded Grammar School.They are still having a very good education but being at a Prep School I feel prepared them very well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now