Any parents put there who is going through what I am???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fairyelephant

Re: Any parents put there who is going through what I am???

Post by fairyelephant »

Don't worry roz12, the extra couple of months makes all the difference and the independents are not quite as competitive (although they are still no walk in the park). Last year dd did not get into HBS but did well in the North London consortium and is happy as Larry at Channing, our closest girls' school. Same story with ds this year, no luck at Latymer but hoping for Highgate. The process at independents is different of course, there is the exam, a school report and interview, so it's a more rounded view of your child - do your research as to what your chosen schools are looking for and make sure you have an easier back up school (I don't know the schools you mentioned and have no idea how hard they are to get into). In North London you have to head out of town to find one that's easier to pass.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Thank you for giving me hope I was having a down day.

:D
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I have 2 very different DDs and have looked at quite a few schools in North London over the last 4 years.

What is your dd like? Any particular interests or passions? A good comprehensive might be great for her-are you not near any? Though if you can afford Indy that seems well worth looking into as well.

Happy to share any impressions of schools I have.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

silverysea wrote:I have 2 very different DDs and have looked at quite a few schools in North London over the last 4 years.

What is your dd like? Any particular interests or passions? A good comprehensive might be great for her-are you not near any? Though if you can afford Indy that seems well worth looking into as well.

Happy to share any impressions of schools I have.
Hello,

My daughter is very sporty and musical than academic. We are near an outstanding comp for girls and that is definitely our number one choice on our CAF form.

Thanks
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I liked Channing a lot but it's impractical for travel. Aldenham had some appeal as did Mill Hill if you aren't set on single gender. Might be far but St Christopher's letchworth too seemed interesting. My dd1 has been very inspired in her comp for sport and music, and academically the pace is not very demanding-I would have liked more demands on her as she can do great things when she feels like it, but it has allowed her to pursue/ try out other interests.
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

Roz12, Something to consider ask at the comprehensives if they have pathways (higher & lower) for the different abilities. I know this operates at Bushey Meads & Queens.
If your DC has worked for the 11plus, they are likely to be on the higher pathway. There is a lot of extension work / opportunities given to these students.
I have a few friends who have deliberately not aimed for the selective schools but ensure that their children get onto these pathways. Find out how much SATs results play a part on pathways/setting.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the schools you have mentioned, I hope this helps.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hi my ds failed local GS test which was all VR. He took local indie scholarship test which suited him better as was english/ maths and vr test. He passed and was offered an academic exhibition. It really cheered him up - we ended up appealing to one of the gs's and we were offered a place on appeal so he ended up in state grammar in the end.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Thanks you thats really helpful advice.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I might get flamed for this, but as you've probably gathered Roz I'm a passionate supporter of independent education.
Your daughter is sporty and musical. If you get her into the right indie, and it seems to me that won't be too difficult for her, then you'll realise that not getting into a grammar was the best thing that could possibly have happened. To her at any rate :) .
Loopy
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Grammars and indies test very differently. An exceptionally bright child can do very poorly at NVR (my dd is in this camp as she's dyslexic) and have no chance on a grammar test despite writing beautifully and doing very high level maths. Conversely, a child may do very well on a grammar exam but not display 'the spark' a top indie would require. If indie is an option, you'll find one to match your DD's ability and interests. Don't dwell on the grammar thing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now