Channing - is DD's maths good enough?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mittleme

Re: Channing - is DD's maths good enough?

Post by Mittleme »

LostInTheShuffle

Wrote

Last year, my DD (who is now in Y6) used Bond until mid to late April, at which time she switched to Schofield & Sims mental maths and started practicing with prior-year indie exams (including those from the North London Consortium).

were you targeting The North London Consortium for your child.

my dd's will be sitting Sutton exams. i suppose this thread is only for those targeting Channing.

Please correct me if am wrong anyone
LostInTheShuffle

Post by LostInTheShuffle »

Mittleme wrote:LostInTheShuffle

Wrote

Last year, my DD (who is now in Y6) used Bond until mid to late April, at which time she switched to Schofield & Sims mental maths and started practicing with prior-year indie exams (including those from the North London Consortium).

were you targeting The North London Consortium for your child.

my dd's will be sitting Sutton exams. i suppose this thread is only for those targeting Channing.

Please correct me if am wrong anyone
Yes, my DD sat both Group 1 and Group 2 North London Consortium exams (and also a grammar school and two other selective indie exams). We adopted a generalist approach throughout, customising only for HBS Round 1 where DD practiced taking CEM-equivalent exams published by Bond and CGP.

As stated in my previous post, we found Bond helpful for building a solid foundation in maths (I can't stress enough the importance of ensuring that DC are well-grounded in the basics rather than simply cramming for 11+ exams), and switched to Schofield & Sims and indie sample papers in April (at that time, DD was scoring 90-95% on most Bond maths practice papers). S&S was great for building speed (here I am referring to the three 10-minute practice papers).
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

arrhh...

thanks for the valuable tip LostInTheShuffle.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Planma my DD is at Channing and I agree you really need to focus on the consortium format and start teaching her the subjects she may not yet have covered. But don't panic, there is plenty of time to cover it. Make sure your tutor has taught the consortium papers or do it yourself, identify her weak areas and go from there. Tables and sense checking can improve marks dramatically. You can do some consortium papers now then do them again when she is happy with the process. There are other schools with similar papers that you can use like the Perse school, Oundle, and others so you won't run out!
Good luck.
planma

Post by planma »

Thanks so much. There is an amazing wealth of knowledge here!