Advice for my dd please!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kingfisher

Re: Advice for my dd please!

Post by Kingfisher »

Daogroupie wrote:
How many of her friends at Northwood got NLCS? What is it that she wants from NLCS apart from her friends going there? I think you should strongly remind her about all the girls who got nothing. DG
Northwood College must be doing something really amazing to get so many girls into NLCS. Well done them!
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I would echo the above replies. It must seem strange to you that she got such a fantastic scholarship at St Helen's but no offer at all at NLCS, I can totally understand. My own dd got a place at HBS (her first choice school) but not even an interview at Habs, go figure! Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason with these schools, indies can take whoever they like and there's just no point trying to second guess why she didn't get an offer.

I think it's now time, as a parent, to be positive about St Helen's and not give her too much sympathy when she's crying etc. Children pick up very easily on how parents react to things. Tough love.

My oldest dd is at St Helen's and it really is a wonderful school. Results wise, not too different from Habs/NLCS. And MUCH less pressurised than NLCS, they really care about the girls and manage to achieve fantastic results.
CandyCrush

Post by CandyCrush »

Completely agree with Middlesexmum.

DS got an academic scholarship at MT but no interview at HABS boys.

DD got an academic scholarship at St Helen's but not even a waiting place at NLCS!

The indies can do what they want and trying to make sense of it can be a waste of energy.

St Helen's is a brilliant school and you're DD will love it!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Agreed with above.

Tell her that 50% scholarships are almost unheard of - because they are extremely rare - most schools only offer 10-30% money off, so to get two rare offers, she must be remarkable to those two schools.

And, yes, whilst she is entitled to be disappointed she did not get her first choice, I am inclined to believe that everything happens for a reason and, it is definitely worth reminding her that at least she has the choice of some amazing schools, unlike many, many other kids, who may have to accept what they are given.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I have an older dd going through moving to a new Sixth Form, and worried and sad to be leaving her friends.

I don't think financial arguments would help her emotionally at all even at 15, never mind 10 or 11.

The best moves on my part so far have been; don't dwell on it too much, make sure she is having as good time as possible and lots of fun with family and those old friends (hoping they become annoying actually! :twisted: ), but also keep an eye on the new school, maybe try to go to i.e. any event they might be having, read their newsletter and point out snippets, activities, clubs that might interest her. Try to meet new people or get her talking at family events etc. even to little kids etc. and feedback afterwards to her you noticed how friendly she is and how likeable.

For my younger dd who was the only one from our area who went to HBS, at 11 in Year 6 getting to know some girls in advance any way I could find was helpful.

Even though sometimes I got told off by dds for trying too hard as a mum, I think they appreciated it.
exam mama

Post by exam mama »

Hi all...
Thank you for all your replies.
Yes, I have told her how lucky she is to be in this position - that lots of children cannot afford private education, and some children have not got anything.
Also told her that we are super proud of her and that 50% at both schools is amazing! We try to comfort her by telling her all the children that are less fortunate than her, and we tell her that NLCS didn't see the spark in her, St H and St A did, by a mile!
To answer individual questions:
We tried to move her out of Northwood College because we thought she could do much better, and that she is much more able.
11 girls (including her) sat NLC from Northwood, with 10 getting in. They all got interviews. Yes, they did well this year!
Apart from her friends, she loved NLC the moment she saw the school. She loved the facilities. Also, her present teacher at Northwood went to NLC.
Regarding Habs, I'm sorry if I appeared offensive to anyone, we just really did not like the school. We thought the girls (most, not all) were quite stuck-up and snobby. Also, I know mums who's daughters attend there, who say they all hate it and lots of girls get bullied.
Yes, we sent a letter to NLC, and they emailed back, but said that they are full on numbers. But they said that she is on waiting list for in-year and that they will call should anything come up.
Yes, we are happy about the money, but would be willing to pay the extra to make our dd happy. We do not mind at all - as I loved St H from the beginning, but it is her, not me.
exam mama

Post by exam mama »

Also, well done to everyone else! This process is really weird sometimes.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

exam mama wrote: she loved NLC the moment she saw the school. She loved the facilities
I am curious which facilities NLCS offer that St Helen's do not?
exam mama

Post by exam mama »

My dd loves gymnastics and is actually quite good at it..NLC offer a cheerleading club. She also loves their gym..those things mainly
exam mama

Post by exam mama »

Also, could some mums give some opinions about St H please if their dd attends that school, or if you have friends who's daughters attend. Even negative things if there are any - just so I know what to expect. Thanks