Desperately seeking a late entry independent school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lion63

Post by lion63 »

I meant, faith schools in your local area.
And yes, Marylebone is a trek away. I don't know its admissions criteria and so will not comment. You might have a better idea as to how they select their pupils.

It is tough right now as you know one option is not viable but I hope you can find something independent soon for your back-up. Best of everything.
tfad

Post by tfad »

Yep! I always knew that MHC was a long shot - but we had to try! Maybe I am just panicking but I just need a school that I can fall back on (and it has to be a good school) because she is bright, conscientious and ambitious. As parents we believe that she needs to be in an environment with like-minded pupils in order to flourish. She already has kids in her primary school calling her a "swot" and "teacher's pet" and without being prejudicial I just feel that if she went to a poorly performing school she might feel isolated! Hope this makes sense!
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Conversely unless you have the independent option would it not be better to have a nearby potentially poor choice than falling through? Once that happens the LEA will still allocate you a school it will just be wherever there is space and that could be a poor school miles away. At least that is my understanding of how it works
I thought so too, filbert, until I was informed that you have more clout refusing the failing school with the argument that you did not have it on your CAF. The LEA will have to help you find an alternative school that is more acceptable to you. Perhaps, I have not got it right and my information was incorrect but that was my understanding last year.
filbert

Post by filbert »

lion63 wrote:I thought so too, filbert, until I was informed that you have more clout refusing the failing school with the argument that you did not have it on your CAF. The LEA will have to help you find an alternative school that is more acceptable to you. Perhaps, I have not got it right and my information was incorrect but that was my understanding last year.
Hmm. Conflicts with what I thought we were told. Ho hum.

Anyway for the OP maybe try The Mount http://www.mountschool.com/ ? Again not sure on how well you would do at this juncture but nothing ventured...
loulou

Post by loulou »

In my experience Woodside Park International (mentioned by lion63) always has last minute places. I know of several children who went on to get places there when all their CAF choices were rejected and they were offered Ravenscroft or Whitefields which were never on the radar. Did you not consider the new wren acadamy which many of the single form entry church school parents have placed on their CAF as it gives priority to church goers and church primary school kids? It will start off as a small school (around 160 places) and grow as it takes on more year groups. May be worth asking to go on the waiting list once it has allocated its places (and I expect all places will be taken as church going parents seem very excited about the school). The other school you may want to consider is St Martha's in Barnet. Its actually a Catholic independent school but again I know of a couple of parents ( CofE churchgoers) who got a place for their children after allocations in Feb but before year 7. Its an all girls school that seems to have a real nurturing envirnment and may well suit your daughter.

Good luck. Its a tough time for parents at the moment.

Loulou
my name is LBaFBSWaBotNM and I DO NOT have a problem
picasso

Post by picasso »

Hi tfad,

I really feel for you. A friend of a friend was in exactly the same position last year and got a place at Bales college (co-ed) in North West London late on in the year- Might be worth a try.

Good luck!
londongirl

Post by londongirl »

I believe Portland Place in the West End would have places if you applied now. It's co-ed ,reasonably small, and a colleague has a son and daughter there,one year apart, both are very happy. Could be too far but not much further than Marlebone. They may say that they are full but they will not be in a week's time when waiting lists have shaken down. Would suggest that you ring tomorrow though if you are keen as they would obviousy want her to do an entrance exam and if you could squeeze that in before next Monday you would have as good a chance as anyone else on their waitinglist. It may be too far for you though.
nailbiter

Post by nailbiter »

i have looked round that school.
am sure it has its fans, but i have to say i wasn't impressed..... if you were aiming for south hampstead this is a very very different proposition.
londongirl

Post by londongirl »

Sorry, I missed the bit where you said South Hamstead, which is very academic and also very very hard to get into from what Ihear. I suggest portland place only as emergency back-up if there is nothing else available. Not that it is bad or anything, but obviously not in the league as SH. But anything in SH league will be well and truly full by now.I know that sounds negative but if you are keen to just be able to offer an alternative back up and need somewhere to send your DD in September, or even just a couple of places to present to her as options, you could always try some of these suggestions and plan to move her as soon as you can. Not ideal I know.
mumbo

Post by mumbo »

Just wanted to say that we were in this position and found a place for our child at Bales College in Kensal Rise/Harrow Road area in North West London. This is an independent school but comparatively cheap. At first we were a bit wary about it and took the place out of desperation but we have been pleasantly surprised. The teaching is second to none, the staff are great and the kids get on well, and the class size is small. We nearly didn't send our child there because we thought the public exam results were bad but it turns out they do the IGCSE for most subjects and therefore do not appear in the league tables. Sometimes initial appearances can be deceptive and schools are well worth a second glance.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now