Results update

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GlazedandBemused

Re: Results update

Post by GlazedandBemused »

Well Channing are in by email and they're definitely doing the exploding offers:

Please be aware that the School reserves the right to withdraw this offer (before it is accepted) if we receive the requisite number of acceptances before the final deadline. In this event, if we have not received your contract and deposit, your daughter will then be placed on our Waiting List.

It's a nice to have but it's definitely slipped down the list for us due to the very impersonal interview and the exploding offers (for which I really don't see any excuse). It's a relief that daughter must have not mucked up the consortium exam.
CandyCrush

Post by CandyCrush »

I almost understand how City can get away with exploding offers as they’re right up there in league table position and reputation. I’m mystified why Channing would do this however. Surely they run the risk of their offers never actually exploding and their reputation being damaged in the meantime.
Emma6362

Post by Emma6362 »

I could be wrong but I think they did that last year re. Channing and exploding offers
drinkmoretea

Post by drinkmoretea »

Good morning (I hope)

Does anyone know whether SHHS posting letters to everyone? Or only to those to whom they are making an offer?
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Channing have an extra class higher up the school when far more accepted than usual/there was the first double form coming up from the prep and literally don’t have the space to accommodate that again. Maybe that isn’t the reason for exploding offers but it would seem very likely to me.
I do recall that Highgate will wait for you if you tell them you are waiting for a definite grammar offer in March.
GlazedandBemused

We've had emails from Channing and Highgate (offers both) and no post nor emails as yet for FH and SHHS.

I actually think there's more excuse for lower ranked schools to do exploding offers than schools like City - it should be easier to predict the offers each year if you're sought-after. Having said that there's no excuse for any of them to do it. I'm going to mention exploding offers to Channing when we reject the place - older sister's offer exploded so she went elsewhere and so younger sister might as well join her at her vg school that honours all of them.
GlazedandBemused

BTW for anyone waiting on SHHS who hasn't received their post, apparently you can phone or email today to ask for them.
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

We accepted NLCS this morning and rejected Channing and with a heavy heart Highgate as I love the school. I hope everyone got something they wanted.
GlazedandBemused

I really like Highgate too and it's down to the shortlist of two but we'll probably not end up taking the place.

Lots of kids at primary didn't get good offers apparently (was very sure not ask anyone given our position as we've now got full haul and another scholarship) and it feels as though we've an embarrassment of riches that I'd like to be able to share more equally. But I suppose the boring thing is that however much these schools say they've got a 'type' they just want kids who'll do well in exams and be easy/fun to teach.
CerranoGreen

Post by CerranoGreen »

@Glazedandbemused I hear pretty negative stories about CLSG in general - much of the stories are along the lines of "girls are leaving in droves" (a considerable number in favour of SHHS) due to pressure for pressure's sake. We had an absolute wet blanket of a child take us round who had literally nothing to say of her own accord, answered questions so flatly it was like being with an automaton. Liked the school itself, more than I was anticipating, but the awful head (since left) and the mouldy bathroom walls and the snooty reception, was a total shock. Then once you factor in the nasty manner around offers and the commute - it no longer held the same appeal. I no longer think of it as a Gold Standard of girls' private education. They still gets results etc. but at what cost? I am not sure it's a school on the right trajectory hence our not sitting our daughter for the exam. The exploding offer things at CLSG seems like "peak arrogance" to me.

I find the whole common entrance / 11+ system pretty much a lottery - eg. our child has received an academic scholarship and other accolades at one school and did not even get interview at another. I think it is very much down to the sang-froid of the kids on the day.

Irritatingly we did not get any post from SHHS today so still have that hanging in the air.

I have a fair number of friends who have offers but are seriously rethinking the whole notion of coughing up for private education. Decision-making is further hampered by the fact that results obtained from the state system come after those of the private 11+ entrance tests.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now