Momentum and Motivation

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SnowballMum

Momentum and Motivation

Post by SnowballMum »

Hi,

I am looking for advice: how are you keeping your child motivated.
My DD is sick of exam practice and it is only November.
Willing to try most things, not bribery.
PerpetualStudent

Re: Momentum and Motivation

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi SnowballMum,

A lot depends on what prep you’ve been doing, for how long and with what results. If DD is already getting good results perhaps look at changing how you’re practising and for how long. DCs can get very burned out if they’ve been going full-steam ahead for a long time. Perhaps a short break would help? Are the exams in January or sooner? Have they changed format because of COVID?
Usually for Indies vocabulary and reading comprehension are very important, so keep reading going (ideally classics) and talk through interpretation of tricky concepts. This way you’re still developing understanding even if not doing written/ multi-choice answers.
You don’t say if you’ve been doing practice papers? If so I would think making them occasional would be helpful and just doing smaller 10 minute tests for speed and targeting areas of weakness.

These are just a few fairly generic ideas because the specific circumstances are unknown. I’m glad bribery is not an option! :D
But real motivation comes from wanting to go to the school that the test is for or to at least want a choice of schools.

HTH
PS