Forest 11+ Exam Today

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worriedmum12

Re: Forest 11+ Exam Today

Post by worriedmum12 »

Thanks all, interesting to read the responses.

We did the CSSE exam and a 'pass mark' was shared (the 303 number) making it clear that a minimum academic standard is required. The historical guidance sheet (for scores) and essay marking scheme made available by the CSSE were also very helpful, the latter in particular as we shared it with our DS so he could see what he needed to do to improve his marks for the writing part of the English paper. As we worked through the practice material over the summer we were able to judge from his marks how he was doing.

In preparing for the independents we moved over to working through the various specimen papers available, however, as we are coming from state primary and have received no support, or guidelines from the secondary independents (with respect to academic standard), I have to say the preparation has felt more challenging.

Also regarding offering places to the top e.g. 120 scores, given the time invested in participating in interviews, providing school reports etc, I would really hope the schools would undertake a much more rounded assessment.
ToadMum

Re: Forest 11+ Exam Today

Post by ToadMum »

For clarity, can I just say that the 'pass mark' of 303 in the CSSE (Consortium of Selective Schools in Essex) exam is only relevant to the school's in the Borough of Southend on Sea: the two Wescliff grammars, the two Southend grammars, Shoeburyness High School and the two RC bilateral schools. There is no overall threshold score for entry at KEGS or at the Colchester Grammars (although there is a - higher - threshold for consideration for the 'contextual' places), but in practice, pressure of numbers applying has always ensured that the score of the 'last one in' has been quite a bit above the Southend pass mark.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now