The day has finally arrived...!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

How has the first half of term gone - is Ed still really enjoying school?
It hasn't all been a bed of roses - he is woken up at 6am to get dressed etc and this always makes him cross and grumpy. He is poorly organised with his prep, so it takes him hours and hours and he is extremely tired and needing a break now!!
That aside, he has not once when he is cross said that he is unhappy with the school - and that is a minor miracle actually - it would be so easy for him to scapegoat the school.
He has an extremely long day but enjoys the lessons. He even said that the girls are friendly!! Secretly, I think there is one he quite likes! The teachers are great, approachable, mostly friendly...
He and his class did have one incident where they filed quietly into the chemistry lab on their first week there. They were so quiet that the master didn't know they were sitting down. When he turned around and bellowed at them for being in the wrong lab they were so frightened!!
He adores the food - proper cooked meals every day or a salad bar. The sort of food he loves so much - cottage pie, roast dinners, stodgy puddings!
The children seem lovely and the parents too. Communication between school and home is excellent and involves contact through the parent portal on their website, emails or letters posted to the house. This is perfect at Ed has never been reliable for bringing letters home.
He loves latin and has taken to it like a duck to water and has even started to pass on what he learns to his younger sister, who soaks it up like a sponge.
So, yes, everthing is going really well thank you. Home can be a bit of a battlefield and bedtimes are certainly getting later - yet we have no time in the week to spend any 'quality' time with him. Ho hum...his cousins tell him he will get more organised and begin to speed up. I am still waiting for that to happen!!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Its hard to get quality time during the term but you can make up for it in the excessively long holidays! Can Ed do prep at school? Sometimes it gets done quicker there.Do you think your dd will go to Rugby?

DS2 is so tired and he really needs a two week break. His standard of preps have apparently been dropping, organisation appalling and an awful lot is required of him. I asked if he wanted to go to his brothers school the other day and have an easier life, but he is adamant he is a st p's chorister. I don't think its the ideal childhood but his self-esteem has risen dramatically and I wouldn't want to take that away.

I meant to ask, does Ed get sport daily and is that good or bad in his eyes?!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Its hard to get quality time during the term but you can make up for it in the excessively long holidays! Can Ed do prep at school? Sometimes it gets done quicker there.Do you think your dd will go to Rugby?

DS2 is so tired and he really needs a two week break. His standard of preps have apparently been dropping, organisation appalling and an awful lot is required of him. I asked if he wanted to go to his brothers school the other day and have an easier life, but he is adamant he is a st p's chorister. I don't think its the ideal childhood but his self-esteem has risen dramatically and I wouldn't want to take that away.

I meant to ask, does Ed get sport daily and is that good or bad in his eyes?!
Ed DOES stay to do prep until the TRR closes at 6 and then carries on at home!! Some prep he does very well indeed and some is appalling - particularly his spelling. I still think he is dyslexic.
Your poor second son sounds exhausted - like Ed.
Ed gets sports 4 days a week. He does hockey, rugby, swimming and some sort of p.e. Thursdays are sports free. He neither loathes nor loves sports; he participates without any comment at all to us!!
Yes, at least he gets long holidays - although that is a nightmare too as we both work. Thankfully, I get to have some time off as I have school holidays but he gets way more than me. Unfortunately, this half term, our schools don't match so daughter and Ed off the week after me. Awful in a way but I am kinda looking forward to some 'me' time - husband will be off with them which is good.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi Ed's mum and Tipsy,
I empathise with everything you have said!
We have had a baptism of fire too.
Getting up at 6.15 and not getting home until 6.30pm.
Alex has never complained but needs constant reminders about organising school bag, sports equipment etc.
The prep was a big shock - he gets 3 pieces a night on average but now does it without complaint.
He has got the first of his effort and achievement grades for English - A1 which is the top mark! And his English teacher is VERY strict! He gets the rest of his grades this week and on Friday breaks up for 2 very much needed weeks off.
Hope you have a good half term break.
Zorro
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

That's super Zorro! 2 weeks?? Wow!! I am sure that Ed only has one. You have made me doubt myself now though...I need to check...
zorro

Post by zorro »

yes it's definitely 2 weeks!
Sore point with DD as she only gets a week! ( State school)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Daughter (state primary) and son (neither!) both get one week the week AFTER me. Ho hum!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Shame!
Are you in different LEA's ?
Independent school holidays are crazy. Next summer DS breaks up 3 weeks before DD - total of 8 weeks summer holiday!
Happy Days!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Yes. Kids in Warwickshire and me in Leicestershire!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well done Zorro's son, and I'm so glad both boys are doing well.

Is your DD trying out for Rugby Ed's mum?

My DS2 has 2 weeks and the other has 1 week. Having them at different schools is so awkward! :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now