Eton

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I was waiting to see if anyone would notice! :lol: At the moment (which could be 5 seconds to 5 months in Tipsy's life) I have decided against Winchester, which now leaves R. Guesses on a postcard please....
You have been getting very pally with Ed's Mum just lately, so I would guess Rugby. I can't bear to think that your darling son won't be going to Winchester though.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Ed's mum has no part in my decision - keep guessing! Why are you so pro Winchester?
Flamenco

Re: Eton

Post by Flamenco »

za1 wrote: These schools are very elitist and based on wealth and family standing to a large degree......the local grammars are far better schools and not full of pompous, spoilt, idiotic brats.
Dear za1,

Since you started this thread entitled, “Etonâ€
za1

Post by za1 »

Flamenco........please read my previous posts admitting my badly worded email......the opinion I am sticking by is the fact that that there a VERY FEW spoilt, pompous brats who attend these schools who don't have the required ability....the other points you have made can be nullified by me accepting my mistake..

KES - I have obviously applied to KES....the other two independent schools that have excellent results at least (not comparable to KES) are Priory and George.....

Regards the bursary - if we go independent...not looking for a bursary....will pay for it myself........so obviously I hope he gets a Grammar place!
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

za1 wrote:Flamenco........please read my previous posts admitting my badly worded email......the opinion I am sticking by is the fact that that there a VERY FEW spoilt, pompous brats who attend these schools who don't have the required ability....the other points you have made can be nullified by me accepting my mistake..
za1:
I've read all your previous posts and I accept that you didn't quite mean what was actually written. We all make mistakes and I'm no angel myself. Perhaps I should be the one to apologise now seeing that I've written what I wrote and addressing it to you. But the bulk of my message was directed to the many still out there who have a totally unfounded and warped attitude towards this great school they called, 'Eton'. So please accept my apology.

I hope your son gets that grammar place. Grammar schools are just as good, and in many cases even better than many independents I know of. My daughter just finished from one grammar school last summer and has now gone to a Russell Group university where she is very happy.

Come to think of it, maybe you should also put Eton on your shopping list in addition to the two best independents in Birmingham. Food for thought there but all the best to your junior, grammar or otherwise.
za1

Post by za1 »

Flamenco...

No worries and thanks for your good wishes........

Eton is obviously a fantastic school and has been attended by many inspirational people from all fields...... my badly directed point was aimed at a certain type of individual only....
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

A word or two on behalf of Etonians and their contributions to society.

Eton Action
Click on the bottom of the link below, (Annual Accounts for 2007/8) to gauge the efforts and view a typical year's contributions by the boys to the many charities that benefit from them:

http://www.etoncollege.com/EtonAction.aspx
KenR

Post by KenR »

It's just sad that Eton (and Winchester) choose not to published their annual returns, accounts and reports on their web site in the same format that other Independent school have to on the Charity Commission web site.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

KenR wrote:It's just sad that Eton (and Winchester) choose not to published their annual returns, accounts and reports on their web site in the same format that other Independent school have to on the Charity Commission web site.
I have never seen such reports on any independent websites and I haven't seen any on the state schools websites that I've looked at. If the Charity commission don't ask them to publish their reports then thats the fault of the Charity commission. One of the reasons the Charity commission do not ask them to do that is beacause Eton spends an absurd amount on charities and benefits compared to the yearly tax break they get, and if it were published then we'd all see for ourselves that what the commission is doing is wrong and its just another one of labours witch hunts and stealth tax. The Charity commission is attacking the tiny preps that can barely survive, and its these schools that are doing the biggest service by taking the load of SEN pupils out of the state school budget.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Tipsy
If the Charity commission don't ask them to publish their reports then thats the fault of the Charity commission. One of the reasons the Charity commission do not ask them to do that is beacause Eton spends an absurd amount on charities and benefits compared to the yearly tax break they get, and if it were published then we'd all see for ourselves that what the commission is doing is wrong and its just another one of labours witch hunts and stealth tax.
I think you need to get your facts straight first, your statement is incorrect.

The reason that the Charity Commission is not allowed to mandate Eton and Winchester to produce Annual Returns and Reports (which are then published on the Charity Commission web site) is due to an medieval Act of Partiament which provides exemptions for Eton and Winchester as old education establishments. The Annuals Reports and Returns for all other Independent School Charities are available on the Charity Commission web site except Eton and Winchester.

I don't doubt that Eton and Winchester meet their charitable objectives. My point is that I think it misguided of Eton and Winchester not to voluntarily publish the reports on their own web sites so that the general public can see that they are being totally transparent. Other Independent schools don't need to produce these on their web site (although some do) as they are available on the Charity Commission web site.

The Charity Commission is one of my clients so I do know the facts in this case.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now