Eton ‘will be open to all’ within 10 years.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Flamenco

Re: Eton ‘will be open to all’ within 10 years.

Post by Flamenco »

Flamenco wrote: It seems to me this ‘world’s greatest school’ is hoping to take things even further by planning to open its doors to all within a decade. A new dawn is in the making - exciting times ahead!

Eton ‘will be open to all' within 10 years

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 258222.ece
Did I say within 10 years?

They don't call this 'the world's greatest school' for nothing. Eton actually puts its money where its mouth is - no, not within 10 years but within 5 months.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 168388.ece
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Read the whole article - is this really the best for this boy?

[quote]Until recently, prospects looked bright for Darryl Marfo, a black boy raised by his mother, a nurse, in a tower block in Pimlico, central London. Marfo won a sports scholarship to the £25,000-a-year Pangbourne college in Berkshire and was even made head boy. Yet he was recently arrested over claims that he brandished a knife at a student party after being subjected to racial abuse; he has been bailed to reappear in court in June.

Horrified Pangbourne parents have demanded that Marfo, who is due to sit his A-levels this summer, be suspended. One mother told newspapers: “We are paying £25,000 a year to this college and it’s not what we expect.â€
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

Guest55 wrote:Read the whole article - is this really the best for this boy?
[1] There are those who feel quite rightly, that life had dealt them a bad hand. Admittedly, opportunities don't come easy to them to break out of their poverty and squalor. That, I'm afraid is the real world that we live in.

[2] There are also those who only require one break in life and make it count big time. Fortunately, the bulk of the people who had this break took it with both hands, thank their lucky stars and never looked back.

[3] And yet, there are those who think the world owes them a living. They whinge and whine about their wretched lives while at the same time not doing anything on their part to improve on their circumstances. Nothing in this world, I'm afraid, can help this group.
Until recently, prospects looked bright for Darryl Marfo, a black boy raised by his mother, a nurse, in a tower block in Pimlico, central London. Marfo won a sports scholarship to the £25,000-a-year Pangbourne college in Berkshire and was even made head boy. Yet he was recently arrested over claims that he brandished a knife at a student party after being subjected to racial abuse; he has been bailed to reappear in court in June.

Horrified Pangbourne parents have demanded that Marfo, who is due to sit his A-levels this summer, be suspended. One mother told newspapers: “We are paying £25,000 a year to this college and it’s not what we expect.â€
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I did but you did not - is this school really the best place? I doubt it -
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

You're entitled to your opinion, of course.

But you still haven't suggested 'the best place'. It seems that you haven't read my message either.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I know nothing much about this boy except the few details here and would not presume to give such crfucial advice without knowing him better.

However I would think that a mixed GS in an ethnically mixed area would be better - I doubt Eton, or any Private school, could really support this boy's needs (academic or social).
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

Guest55 wrote:I know nothing much about this boy except the few details here and would not presume to give such crfucial advice without knowing him better.
Which is best not to pass judgement all too hastily.

The article said, "Yet he was recently arrested over claims that he brandished a knife . . . "
As you can appreciate, it's only a "claim". He's still innocent at this stage until the court decides otherwise.
Guest55 wrote:However I would think that a mixed GS in an ethnically mixed area would be better - I doubt Eton, or any Private school, could really support this boy's needs (academic or social).
I beg to differ. I don't suppose you've ever been round to Eton to see for yourself how ethnically mixed and supportive the school really is. I can take you there as my guest if you so wish so that you may banish from your head once and for all your long held unfounded ideas about Eton and Private schools.

I suppose many other Private schools are just the same - nothing that GS can offer that Private schools cannot match.

As for supporting this boy's academic and social needs, all the more I feel Private schools can do a better job than grammar schools. There are staff at private schools who can offer a 24/7 support in addition to the superior facilities and funds that indies have over GS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Flamenco I know people at Eton. I've also taught at a Private school and have friends that still do - hence I do have an in-depth knowledge on which to base my views,
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

Guest55 wrote:Flamenco I know people at Eton. I've also taught at a Private school and have friends that still do - hence I do have an in-depth knowledge on which to base my views,
Which is why I've invited you personally to come and see for yourself. No point getting your info secondhand or thirdhand as all these can be vastly distorted or exaggerated.

Also, I've heard that you've taught in private school(s) before. I won't ask you which one(s) or for how long or how long ago was that. I'm talking about today's Eton and today's Private schools.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I am sure Guest 55, who appears on quite a few threads, was just being his/her usual informative and helpful self.
I don't pick up any tone of general criticism of Eton just its suitability for this child. I think his/her point may have been that Eton might have been a tremendous culture shock compared to a mixed, multi racial Grammar.Even then it was only conjecture and acknowleged as such given that the newspaper report provides far from a full picture.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now