Oundle school, sevenoaks school Kent, Christs Hospital surr

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

I am a parent living abroad and so had the same issues as you (my daughter started boarding in September). I investigated both Christ's Hospital and Sevenoaks (amongst others), though not Oundle.

I think that Sevenoaks, although undoubtably a very good school is a no goer except at sixth form if you are looking essentially for full boarding provision for an overseas child. It is primarily a day school below the sixth form, though the sixth form doing the IB is quite a different kettle of fish.

Christ's Hospital is an excellent co-ed boarding school (I too wanted a proper co-ed school); and starts at 11 if that is what you want (this was an issue for me). First rate pastoral care, proper boarding, wonderful music, good outcomes. A very good friend of mine sent her son there. However, you should be aware that if you earn too much (not sure exactly how much it's quite a complicated calculation, school is quite helpful in giving you an estimate, but I would guess more than £50,000 p.a.) to qualify for a means tested place children are then taken in strict order of success on the entrance exam. Only 4 % of children are taken according to these academic criteria. Although undoubtedly clever my daughter had not only not followed the national cirriculum but had been educated in French so I was not optimistic and decided not to put her through the ordeal. Location is good for Gatwick though.

Proper full boarding is a serious issue for overseas parents and you should be aware that very few schools really provide this particularly for the under 13s. One of the very few schools doing so is the Royal Hospital School (outside Ipswich) not very close to airports (one hour in a taxi to Stansted). It has just started taking a handful of day pupils but no weekly boarders and no compulsary exeats. Properly co-ed wonderful outdoor activities and music. Not primarily academic (that's not what this school is about), though the opportunities are there, but in my opinion a clever child would still get into Oxbridge (a handful a year). Like Christ's Hospital they have a big foundation, at the Royal Hospital School 30 children are taken a year on 'need' (primarily social I think) and this contingent is not necessarily very academic.

I decided that one of my criteria was a minimum number of full boarders. Actually in the end I didn't select an independent school but a state boarding school (we were offered places at the two independent schools we applied to, including one music scholarship). For your information Hockerill Anglo European College (results second only to Sevenoaks) is 15 minutes from Stansted (£12 in a taxi or the bus which takes longer and goes past the school gates) or an hour from City (possible on public transport, the station is walking distance from the school, funnily enough Gatwick is also pretty accessible on public transport). 30 - 40 % boarders, about half full boarders (more in the sixth form), no compulsary exeats and loads to do at the weekends, wonderful housemistress for junior girls. Other junior girls who are full borders are pretty well all like us, parents resident overseas. Lots of them are bilingual and the school has some of the best language provision in the UK (actually the best I could find). Quite a lot of the sixth fomers are Germans looking to get a two year university entrance qualification at an English school (IB offered only).
P's mum
moved

Post by moved »

Did you not consider Benenden? Full boarding, but not coed. In Kent near your guardian. I would not consider Christs either.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

due to the huge level of financial assistance the school affords its pupils, the intake is not typical of the independent sector generally
Loopyloulou could you please explain this statement?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

(actually I'm sure there are some elsewhere on this site who would see it as an advantage :lol: )
I knew you'd be the first to ask G55! :wink: :lol:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I like to think, some members of the independent forum are not typical of the independent sector generally. :D
mad?

Post by mad? »

hope so mitasol :shock:
mad?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

mitasol wrote:I like to think, some members of the independent forum are not typical of the independent sector generally. :D
The streotypical independent school parent wouldn't even post on here because they are so confident with the decisions they have made. IMO I assume most who post here who are sending their kids to independent schools are very much first time buyers of this type of education and therefore rely on advice.

Below is a quote from a well-known inspection body about CH:
Many children have a parent or sibling who is ill, or has behavioural problems, or an addiction. Only 42 per cent of pupils have both parents resident at home

This may well have been what Loopyloulou meant. Christs Hospital is a great school but is very unique in its selection process. It is not a typical independent school in that sense so if someone was looking for an independent school they should be aware of that.
bamidele07

Post by bamidele07 »

Many thanks for all your contributions!! It has been a very interesting read and an eye opener too. Oundle seems to be a better option. I actually did not realise sevenoaks had more day students than boarders. It is therefore a no go area!! My only concern about Oundle is the size of the school it s such a big school with over 1000 students. I would appreciate any comments from any one who has children in oundle, old students or anyone with any information either positive or negative.
dinah

Post by dinah »

The Christ's Hospital thread is interesting and it is true that it is not a school for the faint hearted. Parents pour their children into the car at the end of term initially, as there is so much to do and the pace is so fast . In time the pupils live up to the school's expectations .
It is also true that a number of the children there have parents who are ill or disabled or poor. This does not preclude the children from being academic or indeed hard working and polite. There are also children there who are academic and have wealthy parents .
The school does not accept children simply because they are disadvantaged in some way. It does accept any child who can stand the challenge what ever their income and what ever their home life as long as they will take up the baton and obey the rules. That seems fair enough to me.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now