Would you go through it again at 13+?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

Thanks for your comments everyone, it has given me lots to think about.
zorro

Post by zorro »

dearcoty
I absolutely agree with Tipsy ( as usual! :lol: )
We had planned to move DS to a prep school to do the entry exams at 13 if he didn't get an independent place at 11. I looked at a lovely prep school locally and had a really long chat with the headmaster.If Ds hadn't passed 11+ I would have had no qualms at all about sending him there.They are much more geared up for entrance exams, they are taught in small classes and are streets ahead of state school children (in general before I get shot down in flames. :roll: )
Not sure about moving for summer term , think maybe better to start in a new academic year. All new school starts are in the autumn and children adapt accordingly so maybe best to let DC finish at their primary and move on when they all do.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

How dare you not agree with me about the summer term Zorro! :wink: :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Knew you wouldn't be able to retire!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

touche :oops:
AB

Post by AB »

zorro wrote: Not sure about moving for summer term , think maybe better to start in a new academic year. All new school starts are in the autumn and children adapt accordingly so maybe best to let DC finish at their primary and move on when they all do.
I think also that it is better to let them finish the year at their primary school especially if they have been there since Reception/Infants then through via the feeder system to Junior.

But if they've moved schools a lot or have not had many 'long term' friendships, it is easier to consider moving them in the summer term. Any move is always disruptive, not just in an educational sense but as a personal closure and 'moving on and growing up'.

The tears and emotions on the last day/ the last time in the Dining Hall/the last PE lesson/the last walk out of the school gates show how important it is that they get the chance to say a proper goodbye to their junior schooldays, if possible. Whether they had good times or bad at primary school, it is still a chapter of their lives that has to be closed.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I suppose it depends on the school they are moving on to. Some prep schools run an 8am-6pm school day and the winter term is renowned for being long and taking a lot physically out of a child with less sunlight and colder weather. Summer term can be more relaxed and a more positive experience rather than a harsh culture shock and it means a couple less things to get used to come winter term i.e. making friends, navigating round the school, understanding the personalities (or lack of) of the teachers and what they expect. All the other children will know how the school works.

Moving from one state school to another or to a prep that doesn't have such long days probably won't have as much of an impact and probably isn't necessary.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I vote for moving a child in the summer term. It gives them a chance to settle in before they start afresh in the autumn term. I did this with Ed and it worked very well.

As for the original question - yes, I would have gone through it again at 13 with Ed if I felt it was necessary.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I agree. He will not do nothing useful in a state primary in summer term, it will be eat, sleep and breathe SATS for the first few weeks and then glorified playtime until the end of term. He may as well be spending the time usefully getting to know a new school.

Mike
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

mike1880 wrote:I agree. He will not do nothing useful in a state primary in summer term, it will be eat, sleep and breathe SATS for the first few weeks and then glorified playtime until the end of term. He may as well be spending the time usefully getting to know a new school.

Mike
So cynical, but so true!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now