What is gifted & talented all about in primary school?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mitasol

Re: What is gifted & talented all about in primary school?

Post by mitasol »

At a GS it is likely that the majority of the school will be doing better than the secondary modern down the road - however 90% of the GS will not be on the register.. whereas 10% of the kids down the road will be ??
I can see why that appears illogical but actually it depends on how you look at it.

Even in GS some children will be able to move at a faster pace than the majority. So a small group at the top end of any school, even GS, may benefit from additional stimulation and challenges.

My main criticism of the G&T programme is that the name "Gifted and Talented" is inappropriate and verging on ridiculous!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I agree Mitasol - it is the name that is ridiculous, I am also sure it is something schools did anyway before the scheme was brought in! Hopefully we are not stuck with it...
Amber

Post by Amber »

At one school I know well, it has been labelled 'More Able...', for example, 'More able mathematicians'. I think that is rather better, and less likely to lead to children skipping round the playground, as I saw one doing last year, singing "I'm gifted and talented" under the fond gaze of a proud parent.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Amber wrote:At one school I know well, it has been labelled 'More Able...', for example, 'More able mathematicians'. I think that is rather better, and less likely to lead to children skipping round the playground, as I saw one doing last year, singing "I'm gifted and talented" under the fond gaze of a proud parent.
yes I did too...although his mothers was the only person who who had told him he was :shock: Indeed when the 'more able' were given different work he told everyone they weer the kids who needed 'extra help'. Charming.
mad?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

We still call it G & T at my school, but, to the children, it is called 'challenge group'.
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

In our school they call it extra Maths and extra Literacy.
Each term we get a letter and it's just one subject per term.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now