School refusing to give out Sats levels

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginx

Re: School refusing to give out Sats levels

Post by ginx »

I am very ignorant. I've posted on here about our comp's ofsted. As Ofsted inspectors yesterday asked dd1 about her targets, is that all they are interested in? Are they interested in whether dc are happy and progressing? Or don't they really care?

Regarding new tests in 2016, replacing Sats, I don't know anything about them, but I have a son in year 3 so this will affect him.

What is "APP"? Does that mean whatever level he is working now is labelled with a number? As he is happy and progressing, and there are no issues (other than his doodling on white board during literacy because he's bored), I'm not concerned about his levels, at least not in year 3.

Poor teachers indeed. How do they keep up with all these changes?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I hope they are interested in a lot more than that. But it is important that children do have some sense of progress and achievement and what they are aiming at next. Target setting could be part of that.

The inspectors will be checking on the reality of what the school has told them. So if the school has described a process of discussing with children how they are doing now, what they are aiming for, then they will need to check out the reality of this by talking to a sample of pupils.

Levels in year 3 - yes if you can tell your child is progressing then who cares about an nc level. But how do you know? I certainly do not know that for my year 3 child! Levels are one way so seeing if school, at least, thinks they are progressing. Why is this any more or less relevant for a year 3 or a year 9 child? There seems to be a prevailing view that ks1 / early ks2 does not matter - my gut feeling is it is one of the most important parts of your education.
ginx

Post by ginx »

You're right, mystery, all years matter. My dc have the impressions that years 4 and 8 are not important, having settled in years 3 and 7, they feel they are just not important years.

I can see ds2 is doing very well at maths. He's not on the "top table" but I don't care because I can see he is doing well, he is interested, he just loves maths. He would like to be on the top table but I wonder if he is not because he would be distracted, or distract others. So I really am not worried about his maths.

His literacy is not so good, never has been, but I've seen some work which is a lot better than last term's (end year 2), he still doesn't read to himself, he's just too tired from running around all the time. The teacher's concerns are: he should be using apostrophe's, adjectives, adverbs, similes, alliteration. She didn't say she was worried about his work, just how he could improve it. Whilst his maths book was full of stickers, "fantastic work" etc, his literacy book was scrawled all over. But it's a lot better than last year. And he's beginning to enjoy it. So, right now, no concerns. No idea what level he's on.

I go into school to read, nearly all the kids are on the same level, including him. So no worries right now. He's happy and that's what matters at the beginning of year 3.
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

My DD who is in YR 5 knows her levels. Her teacher tells her what she needs to improve on to obtain the next level. Also in her books are special little comments which indicate whether she has achieved her target or not.

DS in YR 8 also knows his levels, in fact his peers look at his work and mark it too, although some DC are quite sneaky and try to downgrade it, however it is spotted by the teacher!!

I am totally amazed though how DC are so matter of fact about their levels and what they need to achieve to reach the next level. Fortunately we don't really have pushy parents at school otherwise i'm sure the open knowledge of DC levels could become an issue for some of them!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The secondary school push is coming from Ofsted who have decreed that every student (must not be called children) should know their sats level and target for each subject. It is written in the back of their book and some subjects give a sats level for every piece of work. Every teache and TA r is also supposed to know by heart the sats level of every student in their class. After a topic test the teacher reads out the sats levels of the whole class for students to write theirs in the back of their book. They are all used to it and nobody really cares about anyones but their own. Primary school very silly and secretive about it. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now