Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:56 am 

I cannot understand why state school 11+ test providers think it is appropriate to include mathematics topics beyond what is taught in Primary schools.

This seems unfair to me.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:07 pm 

Guest55 wrote:
I cannot understand why state school 11+ test providers think it is appropriate to include mathematics topics beyond what is taught in Primary schools.

This seems unfair to me.

Any thoughts?

I completely agree. I would go as far as saying that the level of maths should not exceed that covered up to and including year 5. I think that it is acceptable to include questions that are in greater depth as long as the principles have been taught.

The 11+ is intended to identify able children. Testing them with questions that have not been taught only helps children who have been tutored. It does not create a level playing field.

I only know about the Birmingham test and that no one knows what is in the CEM paper. The Birmingham Grammar website used to state that the level of maths required was what had been covered up to and including yr 5. It doesn’t have this statement now. The cynic in me thinks that the commercially produced material is designed to scare parents into thinking that their child needs a tutor/ excessive preparation.

My child had a meltdown when a commercially produced maths paper was attempted- a lot of the material in it had not been covered at school, and wasn’t on the KS2 curriculum. That was the first and last maths paper attempted. They achieved a score comfortably over the priority score so lack of maths practice wasn’t an issue!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:09 am 

Another question has been posted about % increase from an 11+ test. I would be grateful if parents could post questions here they think are not taught at Primary and I plan to challenge the publishers.

The 11+ is divisive enough without including inappropriate and unfair content.

Moderators have approved this post for discussion purposes, but do not endorse any particular campaign