Administrative error- LEA

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Ally, the difference in your case is that your child would definitely have been allocated a place if the mistake had not occurred. In this case, however, the place might have been allocated. The child was not denied the place as such but a five-to-one chance of obtaining a place. If the LA admits this child and goes over PAN it could lay itself open to claims from other families that were unsuccessful in the ballot. If an appeal panel decides to allow the appeal, however, then that's a different matter.
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, that is the big difference between this random "prize draw"method and doing things according to an admissions policy.

I can see good and bad points to this prize draw method, but what would happen if every school did it this way? Theoretically, no matter how many options there were on your CAF you might not get into any of them, and that would just be the luck of the draw. It's a bit of a crazy method really.
Alice Wonder

Post by Alice Wonder »

Mystery asked why the council eventually admitted to the error.

It's simple they knew there was every chance that their incompetence would have come to light and they would have had even more egg on their faces.

My first move if I had not been offered a place at any of my schools of choice or to my 1st/2nd preferences would have been to ring up and find out what number my DC was on the waiting list. Im sure most parents would do the same.

What would they have then said oh actually their not on the waiting list.

If they thought they could get away with it without discovery they probably would not have admitted the error.

However the issue of schools is a matter of great concern to the majority of parents and the council know this and knew they couldn't cover up this criminal mistake.

I say criminal because it's a crime that SAM's DC was robbed of a chance to be even considered for their first preference school and I feel infuriated on your behalf.

It's outrageous that they do not resolve the matter quickly but string the matter out in such a cruel fashion when you have done everything right.

SAM keep the pressure up and definately go the legal route if you don't get the outcome you desire.
Cheshire Cat
super anxious mum

Post by super anxious mum »

Dear all,

Just to let you know the council came back with a big fat 'no' to paying the inde deposit, etc., stating that because they had offered my son a school place (albeit at failing one), they had met their legal obligations. My point is that this school is in SM, and is labelled as 'not meeting the needs of those currently attending' -- why the heck would any parent accept a place there! Not sure where to go from here. I have yet to hear back how, where, and if they will here an appeal asap, or whether they are going to keep us waiting until July. In the mean time I have appealed for our other preferences, and applied for other schools too.

Any suggestions greatly received!

Thanks
SAM.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Appeal for the other schools you have applied to as well, not just the ones that were on your CAF.

You need to make sure that your appeals cases are as good as they possibly can be.

Sorry that you have not received a school that you are happy with.

Sorry know nothing about the schools in your area, but do you think that the prize draw admissions policy at what is presumably the most desirable school in the area will have displaced a sizeable minority of people who would otherwise have gone there? This may mean that the intake at the failing school may change significantly.

What is the failing school doing to turn itself around? Sometimes it works (but not always!)
Alice Wonder

Re: Administrative error- LEA

Post by Alice Wonder »

What happened Super Anxious Mum was there any satisfactory resolution to this for you?
Cheshire Cat