First Appeal Declined

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

As A school was offered and turned down, I think you will now have to seek a school which has vacancies or go on waiting lists.

You may find, if your appeal is unsuccessful or you cannot afford private schooling (if you can find places now) that your son has to travel some distance to school.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

frustrated wrote:
although if you were just to focus on the school in question during your appeal rather than the fact that he hasn't got a place anywhere, then I think that your chances would be much better.

Just a personal opinion though, I'm no expert! :oops:

[/b]
I think we all agree that this is a good stratagy. They probably will ask you what school he has been allocated and then you can add the bit about not having a school. (they did ask me at my over-sub appeal what the allocated school was). If they dont you could add a bit in your summing up about not having a school :)
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Also, I am not sure what the panel would think if they knew that you had deliberately turned down an offer of a place even though it is not one that you wanted, as technically you were not without a school to start with?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I'd be wary of saying he doesn't have a school, they might think you're trying to emotionally blackmail them and it could put their backs up.

They really shouldn't be asking what school he's been allocated and if they do perhaps the question could be deflected? You are there to talk about the school you are appealing for. Not what schools you have or have not been allocated.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

LOL - I did say in my 'limited world'!!!

I didn't mention in my post that of course you need to be clear why your appeal if for this particular school I just wondered if, casually mentioning somewhere that DC would be without a school come September might be something to add. Not a point to build a case on!!!

Is so stressful, I really feel for you, and having to wait so long is doubly hard.

I agree with the others about adding DC to waiting lists, if not already done this. You never know....
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Just a little note - the school that you are appealing for will already know which school you were originally offered!

The papers that I received for my first appeal didn't have a copy of the offer letter from the LEA in it, but the papers for my second appeal (which I am not going ahead with anymore) did.

When I checked this out, I was told that this information is something that the appeal panel MUST have - they will have a copy of the letter sent to you from the LEA detailing which school you were allocated, and a copy of the letter stating that he is suitable for a grammar school education.

If I could give you a hug right now, Bindie I would. This is an awful situation to be in. Keep throwing ideas at us, we are all here to give support :)
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Snowdrops wrote: They really shouldn't be asking what school he's been allocated and if they do perhaps the question could be deflected? You are there to talk about the school you are appealing for. Not what schools you have or have not been allocated.
one of my appeal points was transport. In my appeal letter i mentioned how easy the bus service was to their school but i didnt mention anything about transport to the allocated school - hence when they questioned me they asked how my dd would get to allocated school. I was happy to answer as i felt it helped my appeal :)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

The point you were making was about transport to the school, so the question was connected, although strictly speaking it still had nothing to do with your appeal for the school you wanted.

The issue is it's better NOT to raise points about why you don't want another school - unless asked of course, which technically they don't need to do (but they may do :lol: )
jingle

Post by jingle »

Does anyone know if non qualification appeals and oversubscription ones (for the same school) in kent are held separately or all mixed together with the same panel? Probably a ridiculous question but would be interested to know.
Sorry, to hijack! will go in a min
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Dealt with at the same time by the same panel :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now