To Appeal or not to............Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loli34

Re: To Appeal or not to............Bucks

Post by loli34 »

I am thinking this really does not give much credibility to his recommendation of 2:2
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I fear you are entirely correct, loli.

What the Head appears to have done is either failed to submit any recommendations at all prior to results day, or not recommended any of the children as likely to qualify.

The 2:2 recommendation has therefore been given with the benefit of hindsight, i.e. once the test results were known. I am afraid that the panel will discard it.

Is this a Bucks state school or an independent or out-of-county school?

It might be worth a quick check with the Head that the numbers are correct, because it could just be that the recommendations were submitted and not processed, or that the figures in the appeal papers are wrong. I have heard of an error this year.

S-A
loli34

Post by loli34 »

We are an ordinary Bucks state school.

I am rather shocked by it all - I really hope its a mistake, will try and speak to the Head tomorrow.

Loli
rubyblueruby

Post by rubyblueruby »

Does this mean, coming from an OOC school, a heads recommendation on appeal summary sheet of 1:1 is worth nothing if a previous grade had not been awarded. Obviously OOC schools do not grade pre exam, so what weight is given to the grade on the summary sheet in this case?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Where the recommendation is given after the 11+ result, it might beg the question "Was it influenced in any way by the actual 11+ result?"
Secondly - and perhaps more notably - unlike with a Bucks school with a substantial number of candidates, it's not possible to form a view about how reliable the head's recommendations may have been.

This doesn't mean an OoC recommendation carries no weight, but a panel may look to see how well it fits with the rest of the evidence. (They will probably do this with Bucks headteacher recommendations as well!)

The headteacher recommendation is just one bit of evidence.
As we suggest in the Q&As, ideally one should have wide-ranging evidence of high ability.
Etienne
loli34

Post by loli34 »

Its a mistake - hurrah !!!!

Spoke to Head today he said he most definatly made some recommendations and they were submitted on time etc, interestingly he received a phonecall asking him to re-send them last week.

I rang the aylesbury offices and they said a correct copy would be in the post today or tomorrow?

Should I be worried that the Appeal Panel have received their paperwork the same time as me with the incorrect information ????
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

loli34 wrote:Should I be worried that the Appeal Panel have received their paperwork the same time as me with the incorrect information ????
No - they will get the corrected version at the same time as you. I feel sure the LA representative will also draw attention to this matter at the hearing.

Glad it's been sorted! :)
Etienne
loli34

Post by loli34 »

Appeal is tomorrow - thanks to this forum I feel as prepared as I could be in what to expect and feel that I am armed with enough evidence.

To remind everyone:- 114 and 118 - HT recommend 2:2 - prediceted 5b's for Maths and English with reference to her being definatly suitable for GS. Reading age 14, Spelling age 12 (10y 0mnths when tested).

I am taking full reports and school books with me - her work is all very good and her teacher feels that her work is consistent and of a very high standard.

I am after just a little bit of advce, whats the best line to take in summing up? I dont want to sound like I am repreating myself by stating facts that I have already said, and also dont want to get caught up by saying - my child is a hard worker etc etc and deserves a grammer school place blah blah - which clearly is not the thing to say - any advice welcomed !!!

Loli ***
rubyblueruby

Post by rubyblueruby »

Good luck tomorrow Loli we are uptomorrow too! Can,t helpwith your question but hope someone else can as could do with same advice! :) RBR
loli34

Post by loli34 »

rubyblueruby wrote:Good luck tomorrow Loli we are uptomorrow too! Can,t helpwith your question but hope someone else can as could do with same advice! :) RBR
Good luck to.... rubyblueruby....xxxxx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now