Bucks appeal at 114! Help...

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Bucks appeal at 114! Help...

Post by Etienne »

Hi, KT36

The answer to your question is that it's a total myth.

Could you please post the question now ...... ? :)
Etienne
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Ha ha Etienne, you moderators are so clever you answer the question before I post it :lol:

Question:
Some posts have mentioned (and I also heard from a parent who'd had an appeal) that the later your appeal hearing date is in the 'hearings window', the less chance you have of success. Is this true or is there any evidence of this?

Answer:
As Etienne has kindly informed... MYTH MYTH MYTH! :D

(relieved as we have another month to go before hearing for DS!!)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

:D

Just to add - this is a specific question relating to Bucks 'selection appeals' in January/February.
Etienne
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Hi all

I just wanted to ask if anyone can give me any guidance on how to answer a direct question like "why don't you think DS got 121?".

In all honesty, we really don't know and have some extenuating circumstances but don't want to dwell on them as I don't want to be seen as excuses and I don't think they are are the strongest :( As I've mentioend above DS has 3 5b and 1 5c predictaion for sats. In fact he's had accelerated achievement through juniors and has already exceeded his FFT predictions from KS1. CAT scores for nVR and QA always been v strong but VR always been lower.

His school are very behind appeal and have stated they just don't know why he didn't get 121. We had a EP report done and he scored at least top quartile on everything tested (2 lowest were spelling 77 and reading 75, but comprehension 95 percentile so not being held back there). His other scores are 83 to 99 percentile (ability averaged at 90 percentile, attainment average 85 percentile (lowered by spelling & reading), and diagnostic average 93 percentile). His IQ was rated as superior. The EP report has stated that DS scores "show high academic potential" and "educational needs best mey at an academic school" "strongly recomend DS for GS". I asked EP (who I must say has been fantastic answering all my questions!) how to answer this and she came back and said she didn't know to be honest as everything she's tested points towards the fact he should have passed.

I don't know his reading age but will ask HT tomorrow (don't think it will be super high though).

Would it be OK to just say "we don't know" or should we look for an explanation?

We're going in with 11+ score of 113 and 114 so are really expecting a grilling!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would it be OK to just say "we don't know"
Yes!

You could add "There were some minor things, but nothing really to explain these scores."

If they want to know more, they'll ask, in which case you can answer briefly (it won't then sound as if you're making excuses).
CAT scores for nVR and QA always been v strong but VR always been lower.
I think that it would be very fair to suggest that his real strengths lie elsewhere than in VR, and hope that the panel will be sympathetic to this point.
Etienne
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Thanks as always Etienne :)
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Hi KT, Just saw your thread and wanted to say if it can help you feel more positive..I know someone whose DD had exactly the same scores last year..and pretty similar academic strengths...and they were successful!! So not such a long shot afterall :D
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Hi mm, thanks for sharing. If you're anything like me you are reading through this forum and having daily highs and lows! Having said that, I really don't know where I'd be without this website. EVERYONE has been so fantastic and supportive... I find myself logging on to see if people have had their result yet, and them I'm genuinely upset for those who don't get the result they hoped for.

Good luck to those who are still awaiting their result or even to attend the appeal.

And a massive thanks for all the support and advice.. and S-A and Etienne, you're little stars :D
mrsmum

Post by mrsmum »

Absolutely! I second all of that :!:
KT36

Post by KT36 »

I'm trying to pull together a presentation for the appeal (spending way to much time on google!). Anyway, I found this article on CATs

http://www.nationalstrategiescpd.org.uk ... erview.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a bit in there (top page 5) that mentions if 1 score in a battery over 126 or scores in two separate batteries over 120, then would be considered in top 5% nationally (I know bucks higher achieving than national)... could I use this in my presentation or would I be annoying IAP by pointing this out. My DS would qualify on both counts if this is a good measure (VR historically lower, but v gd NVR and Q: I've got 3 years of CAT scores confirming this, also DS has averaged 123 across all 3 batteries consistently for 3 years (VR lowering this average).

Just a thought??! My mountain is big.. and I fear it's difficult to climb! :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now