OoC Bucks Appeal - HT not supposed to be supportive

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mk123

Re: OoC Bucks Appeal - HT not supposed to be supportive

Post by mk123 »

Just a quick note to say that letter is not in the post – relieved a bit ;)
Picked up the HT evidence which comes purely as academic reference for SATs in English writing, reading, Maths - ‘grades and score included’ from end of Y4, end of Y5, November 2010. The good point is that letter projects progress through a period Y4 to now. DD has steadily moved 1 level up in all 3 subjects from Y4 to Y5.
My worry about the school SATs papers maximum of 5b was unfounded as there are 5a predictions for reading and maths; 5b for writing.
Will talk to the teacher next week and ask for more detailed letter which hopefully gives more human flavour to the academic achievements of DD.
The rest will be to wait for the NY and secretly suppress the worries if evidence is sufficient and convincing enough... Good luck every one!
Million thanks again for support.
mk123

Post by mk123 »

mk123 wrote:Just a quick note to say that letter is not in the post – relieved a bit ;)

correction as I meant to write 'letter IS in the post' ...
mk123

Post by mk123 »

Exhausted now but glad the hearing is over! Do not have the strength to think yet about the nervous and waiting game that waits us in the days to come.
Had the appeal today, last slot, last day of the week. Panel were very polite, understanding and put us at ease indeed. Commented on the very good and clear layout of the presentation and how we summarised the evidence - thanks to this site. They commented that we already 'answered' a lot of their questions in advance. In a way we felt it it was much easier than expected which makes me very confused right now and clueless on the outcome. As part of the speech we explained that the HT summary is not provided due HT decision that she cannot go against LA policy - no further questions. They seemed to focus a lot on the bi-linguality aspect; was DD born here(yes), does she read books in other language(yes), what questions did she find most difficult in the practice tests provided in the familiarisation pack (vocab related), did she indicate problem with those questions after exam (not explicitly), did she finish papers at the exam (yes), what lang. we speak at home(although mentioned in speech), what is her reading/spelling age (we answered that we have provided her school spelling book and referred to school report comments. Reading age is reflected in sats prediction as school doesnt do other reading tests). We included in speech as well the point about older DC who showed clear interest in vocab. development at secondary school. Thank you SA and Etienne as this did seem to be an 'interesting' point for the panel too. They even asked about what does other DC study at uni and where(not sure if filler one). Interesting other questions: what are her friends like,what does she do outside school, what would she do if she had 2 hours free time. I am ever so grateful to help and guidance given in this site!
Will dip into the weekend now and wait. Will post on the 'sticky' too once I get the results.
loli34

Post by loli34 »

Good luck MK123 ***

I honestly believe that having the low mark in the first paper (114) was our downfall, so hopefully with your consistent high marks you will get the result you are hoping for.

I am keeping everything crossed for you.

Loli34 ***
mk123

Post by mk123 »

Good news in the house mixed with tears of joy! We were successful;) Had to read the letter numerous times to digest the content. I would like to thank everyone on this invaluable forum. Words are not enough to express my sincere thanks and I think KT36 put it very beautifully yesterday. I would like to join her special thanks too, especially to Sally Anne and Etienne who gave me such confidence, organised my thoughts and guided us in this rocky road to the end. I wish you can see my DD's face tonight to appreciate my thanks!
mk123
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Marvellous news, mk123! Very pleased for you and your daughter.

I thought it seemed to have gone rather well, although there is no telling ...

Sally-Anne
mrsmum

Post by mrsmum »

Great news. Well done. Enjoy the moment after all your hard work and worry.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Wonderful!

:D
Etienne
rubyblueruby

Post by rubyblueruby »

Great News, am really happy for you! Enjoy! RBR :D
KT36

Post by KT36 »

MK123.... super news! Congratulations :)

KT36
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now