11 + appeal bucks help

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: 11 + appeal bucks help

Post by Etienne »

Well, I agree that the '3' does not match all the references to ability!

Lack of organisation should - in my view - only have affected 'attitude' (where it is actually listed).

Most panels are not going to be concerned about organisation or attitude. The issue is ability!

Wait for the Q&A session at the hearing - someone is bound to ask about the 3:2. I think you'll have to point out the inconsistencies (as diplomatically as possible). It's fair enough that he's given a '3' (except that the school has never told you about lack of organisation :roll:), but he's then penalised daughter a second time by lowering the recommendation for potential. Potential = sheer ability, and I think at least a '2' should have been given. Try suggesting sympathetically to the panel that it must be quite difficult for out of county heads to understand the system as well as Bucks heads! :idea:

I'll leave the eyesight issue to my alter ego ........ :)
Etienne
sturman

Post by sturman »

many thanks Etienne

Just been reading up on DD year 5 report it states "her organisation has greatly improved through out the year and she should stay on top of it for year 6" direct quote. thats the only time its mentioned. However handwriting is mentioned in her english summary......We never ever thought we would be fighting to get into a grammar school on the basis of her handwriting which is legible and probably better than mine and she forgot to bring her homework in occasionally.....

Sturman
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Just been reading up on DD year 5 report it states "her organisation has greatly improved through out the year and she should stay on top of it for year 6"
The panel need to see that! :)
Etienne
sturman

Post by sturman »

Hi Etienne

Sorry to do this in dribs and drabs, there just so much to consider.

DD Y5 report also has 4 boxes to tick for homework ....1:consistently 2:usually 3:Developing and 4:not achieved
the boxes are ticked all showing the number 2 which is usually. whilst not brilliant i would imagine average.
I'm wondering whether to arrange another appointment to ask the HT to reconsider.
I did explain to her Y6 teacher that we moved on 25th Aug and most of our belongings were in storage for the first month of term and maybe that's why DD mislaid homework[Always handed in next day} but i feel she just gave her opinion to HT and he went over the top about her HW in mentioning it 4 times...

However what can i ask him to do? scribble things out?i dont think he will but we have 2 strong pieces of evidence that DD homework at least is acceptable and she is "on top of her organisational issue at the end of Y5" end quote

Any advice

Sturman
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Sturman - badly organised mod here with abysmal handwriting.

the issue is ability and not organisation or handwriting!
sturman

Post by sturman »

Thanks Hermanmunster
I only hope panels see it that way..scary thing is her handwriting is best in family..we all were tested by her last night. and shes the youngest.
sturman

Post by sturman »

Hi Etienne

Made appointment with HT for 8.a.m. Monday morning. would it be OTT of me to take a new reference form for him to fill in "Just by chance Sir i happen to have a new shiny form"

Any advice is most welcome

Thanks
Sturman
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Made appointment with HT for 8.a.m. Monday morning. would it be OTT of me to take a new reference form for him to fill in "Just by chance Sir i happen to have a new shiny form"
Take it with you, but wait and see how the meeting goes before you take the plunge and hand it over! :)

I think the aim of the meeting is to see (1) if he'll concede that there are some inconsistencies, and is willing to modify his comments, and (2) if he'll accept that 'potential' = 'inherent ability', so the recommendation category means 'recommended for grammar school in terms of inherent ability'. Attitude (including organisation) doesn't come into it - there's a separate category for that! ..... :roll:
Etienne
sturman

Post by sturman »

Hi SA or Etienne

With reference to your last post "see if he'll accept that 'potential' = 'inherent ability"Is there a downloadable booklet somewhere with advise for HT regarding the HT referencing form and how to interpret it.Maybe if i very tactfully show him it he may feel inclined to change his mind.

I cant believe i'm having to explain this to a HT.

Thank God for this site and the Moderators

Sturman
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

There is indeed - the Head teacher's manual, which is the first download on this page:
https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/schoo ... anuals.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Information about the Recommendations is on pages 18 - 21, although really it only states what is already on the form regarding academic ability. Still, at least you will have chapter and verse - you then have to argue the semantics!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now