Appeal help

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

john129

Re: Appeal help

Post by john129 »

Where could I obtain information for catholic school (governing body) for following:
1.The capacity of the school calculated by LEA
2.The actual number of pupils on roll in the school
3.The number of pupils in Y7

Should I contact appropriate:
LEA
School Admission
The clerk for appeal

Thank you,

J
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I assume the school is its own admission authority, in which case you can contact admissions at the school, explaining that you are requesting this information to help prepare for an appeal. You could remind them that the Appeals Code states:
2.8 Admission authorities must comply with reasonable requests from parents for information which they need to help them prepare their case for appeal.
Be clear about the information you want, e.g. Do you want the number of pupils currently on roll?

I would also suggest asking for current numbers in each of years 7-11, plus anticipated number for year 7 in September. (Current numbers for years 7-11 will give an indication whether the school has previously exceeded PAN and to what extent.)
Etienne
john129

Post by john129 »

Etienne,

Just wondering why would school question an appeal form which school was DS allocated?
Is it that they want to see how I build my case if I got allocation? Perhaps I could point out a few thing about allocated school? Latest Ofsted report?

I have looked Q&A , just bothered why do they need to know?

J
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's quite common for the appeal form to ask for details such as the current school, the offered school, etc., so I wouldn't read too much into it, although I agree it's not strictly relevant.

However, you might be asked at appeal if the offered school could meet your son's needs, in which case you have an opportunity to explain why the school you're appealing for is more suitable. (The aim should be to keep the focus on the school you want, and to try and avoid being too negative about the school offered!)
Etienne
john129

Post by john129 »

Dear Etienne,

I have sent some school info to appeals box,following to our conversation regarding number admission.

Thank you for all your kind help and effort you provide.

J
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear John

I think the pattern is coincidental, but the fact that in some years they have gone well over PAN means you can ask at the hearing “We are aware that the school has previously had to cope with additional pupils. Is there any hard evidence that this has caused prejudice?
Etienne
john129

Re: London Oratory School criticised over admission appeal

Post by john129 »

Date Published: 23/03/12

There were flaws in the way an independent appeal panel of the London Oratory School, Fulham acted, says Local Government Ombudsman, Dr Jane Martin.
The Ombudsman found fault because:

* the complainants had not received a copy of the School’s case before the hearing
* the panel failed to consider two issues separately as the Code requires – the parents’ reasons for wanting a place at the School and whether the admission criteria were properly applied
* the name of the panel members were not provided to the parents three days before the hearing (as the Code requires), and
* the School failed to respond to at least one of the couple’s requests for information.

The Ombudsman says: “A school must provide parents with its case for opposing the appeal, in order to satisfy the Code. The parents do not have to ask for it.”
Hi Etienne,

Had a quick look at The London Oratory article but it seems that Clerk to the appeal panel still uses the same address (school address) and no other contact details ie phone or email provided.

CVMS is also catholic oversubscribed and we had to request and return our appeal form to Admission department of the school,so school already knows who is applying on what grounds.
Do they make decisions prior to appeal as at the moment no clerk involved.

J
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Although it's not ideal that the clerk can only be contacted via the school, I suspect this is quite common where own-authority schools are concerned. The key question is 'Can the arrangement be justified?'. The ombudsman appears to be satisfied in this instance:
16. The complainants were concerned that the Clerk did not have separate contact details. In response to my enquiries, the School explained that the Clerk works from home and wishes to avoid contact outside working hours. The School also said that the Clerk has contacted appellants and their representatives when requested to do so and the School forwards the Clerk’s post to his private address.
17. I do not consider this explanation unreasonable. The Code says that the Clerk must be independent of the School but does not give specific guidance around how the Clerk should be contacted. In the absence of evidence that the School interferes with the Clerk’s work, I am unable to conclude that the Clerk’s use of the School address and telephone number indicates that he was not independent of the School. The arrangement that the School describes is administrative and does not in itself, in my view, compromise the Clerk’s independence.
Do they make decisions prior to appeal as at the moment no clerk involved.
I hope not - that would be unlawful!
Etienne
john129

Post by john129 »

Have prepared all possible documents for my appeal and will put it all in sensible order over the weekend and send it to schools after Easter.

I am very greatfull to you Etienne as you were fantastic and I shall let you know how it went.

Happy Easter,

J
john129

Post by john129 »

Just wondering if appeal panel take into consideration ability banding levels?

DS was banded in Band A - above average and part of appeal will be his academic ability and needs if that school.

Thanks,

J