Appeal via Skype denied

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
suzanne

Re: Appeal via Skype denied

Post by suzanne »

Thank you.

If there is a question which I can't answer would it be possible to give the reply later in the day in the form of a written note (after ringing the parents) before the decisions are made?

What is the average number of questions asked by the panel in an appeal hearing? I am guessing that the 3 appeal panel members will perhaps ask 2 or 3 questions each?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

presumably the number of questions will depend on the LEA and what is in the evidence submitted before hand. I can't imagine that they will allow you to contact the parents and come back with answers - could take all day and opens the process up to people being able to "phone a friend" at various points.

Appreciate it is difficult for your friends but I think they have to to consider how they will feel if the appeal is unsuccessful - I suspect they will really wish that they had made the effort to attend and may also feel guilty for asking someone else to do it for them.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

suzanne wrote:If there is a question which I can't answer would it be possible to give the reply later in the day in the form of a written note (after ringing the parents) before the decisions are made?
I don't think that would be acceptable. Technically the appeal would have to be adjourned whilst you got the additional information, then reconvened. All parties would have to be present still, as the LEA/School side would have the right to hear and question the new material, as, obviously, would the panel. What if more questions arose? It could be strung out over a long, long time. What about the other parents sitting outside waiting for their appeals to be heard? An appeal is usually given a 20 or 30 min appointment although there is no limit to the length of the appeal (indeed, some do go on over an hour). To be honest, we expect the person presenting the appeal to have all the information with them.

Finally, two quotes from the Appeal Code:

2.7 ...The notification must include a deadline for the submission of any further evidence that was not sent with the initial appeal. Admission authorities must inform appellants that any information or evidence not submitted by the deadline might not be considered at the appeal (see paragraph 2.10 below)...

2.10 ... An appeal panel must decide whether any material not submitted by the specified deadline is to be considered, taking into account its significance and the effect of a possible need to adjourn the hearing.

This means that the panel does not have to accept any written evidence not supplied by the deadline, so they don't have to accept a folder of information submitted on the day, nor written answers to questions 'phoned through.
What is the average number of questions asked by the panel in an appeal hearing? I am guessing that the 3 appeal panel members will perhaps ask 2 or 3 questions each?
There is no average. sometimes an appeal is so clear cut that we'd barely need to ask any questions, and the parents (or rep) would be out the door within 10 mins. Others, as I say, can go on for hours, with lots and lots of questions, exploring matters in depth. Appeals where the child took the exam in an unusual environment (such as at their school overseas) tend to more complex. As I said previously, there are no set questions that we ask of the parents that you could put to them in advance - and even if there were, if we did it for one appeal, we'd have to do it for all appeals to be fair. Our questions are based on the paperwork submitted and the case as put by the parents on the day.

If the parents can't make it, I suggest that you find out everything you can about the child, so you can answer any questions that come up. As Hermanmunster says, if the appeal isn't successful, will you blame yourself and will the parents wish they'd made that effort to come over?

It really doesn't have to be both parents and I certainly wouldn't bring the child to the appeal, but if at all they can afford the money, it will be worth it. Although a parent attending will not guarentee success, it will improve the chances of winning.
Capers
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Thank you very much for your help and advice
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The main problem is the one Capers identifies further above - it would be unfair and unacceptable to have evidence given to one party (the panel) outside of the hearing, in the absence of another party (the admission authority).

However, if some important questions were to arise during the hearing - which you do not know the answers to - you could try requesting a short adjournment in order to telephone the parents. It would be up to the chair whether or not to allow this. The panel will be under pressure because of time constraints - but they must be seen to act fairly and reasonably, having regard to all the circumstances.
Etienne
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh good luck. I feel for them, but they are lucky they have you to go along. I know someone said that a "stand-in" is second best, but there must be situations where a "stand-in" is better and it could be this one!

I'm not an appeals panel member, but as a "lay person" I feel that if you are well prepared it is unlikely that questions will crop up that you can't answer that are relevant to the appeal. OK you might not be able to answer some of the silly questions that seem to be thrown in to put you at ease, but if you and your friend have got your heads together (virtually that is) I can't see that you could not be prepared for any sensible and relevant question that might come up.

You need to get as many 11plus minded people as possible to read through the paperwork your friend is preparing and get them to dream up all the questions that come into mind for them, and then make sure that the paperwork addresses them.

Then, if you are asked a question on the day, and you know the paperwork intimately, hopefully the answer will be there on paper already and it will just be a matter of pointing them to it and explaining a little more if necessary.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Is this an non qualification or oversubscription appeal? or both? The panel will be asking different sorts of questions depending on what you are appealing against.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Thank you for your replies - your help and kind words are much appreciated.

It is an appeal for a grammar school - not reached the required score.
mystery

Post by mystery »

OK, so do you feel you have a strong case for academic achievement and mitigating circumstances to present? Have the parents followed the advice in the stickies on this forum?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

suzanne wrote:Thank you for your replies - your help and kind words are much appreciated.

It is an appeal for a grammar school - not reached the required score.
With some non qualification appeals there is also the need for an oversubscription appeals. The non qualification deals with why the child didn't get the mark and evidence of ability to do so - they then may have to consider whether the child should be admitted to an already full school.

In some areas these appeals are very hard to win - have the parents got a plan B?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now