How was your panel?!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: How was your panel?!

Post by Etienne »

What the Code says is:
....... as soon as possible after the hearing but not later than five school days, unless there is good reason.
Having to wait from May until July is quite unusual, but certainly possible. As explained above, it depends on the availability of panel members, and no decisions on timely appeals can be taken until after the last hearing.

Finding people willing to work as unpaid panel members is not easy ........
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote: Having to wait from May until July is quite unusual, but certainly possible. As explained above, it depends on the availability of panel members, and no decisions on timely appeals can be taken until after the last hearing.

Finding people willing to work as unpaid panel members is not easy ........
My panel are hearing six days of appeals, spread over two weeks. Quite remarkable that our clerk managed to find six days that we were all available, especially given work commitments. I'd like to thank my boss for allowing me to take time off at our busy time of year (including other appeals). It is, I should add, annual leave, so I'd also like to thank my children & partner for missing 9 days of holiday. And, no, I don't get expenses or loss of earnings from the schools.

We can't decide the outcome of any one appeal until after we've heard them all, so if there was an illness or other unavailability of a panel member, they could last easily for months. It really is an agony for the parents, but if we decided as we went, we could find appeals we hear later should have won over the earlier ones... 'this a pain, but it is fair.
Capers
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Last edited by jugglermum on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for that, jugglermum. I'm sure no offence was taken.

It's very unfortunate when this sort of delay occurs, but it can't be helped.

Even worse, I think, is if a panel member falls ill and is unable to return. This is quite unusual too, but it can happen. In this situation, the whole process has to start again with a replacement panel member, and the appeals that have already taken place must be re-heard.
Etienne
eyelashes

Post by eyelashes »

The entire appeal panel at langley grammar school were very friendly,sympathetic and polite that I immediately felt at ease even before entering the room, as the admissions officer somehow made me feel very comfortable on the way to the room-as though she was my friend (as I didn't have anyone accompanying me).Although my appeal was not upheld, the chair person was very patient and sympathetic as I kept repeating my arguments several times.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now