Essex Appeals.... what evidence might impress

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Faithful

Re: Essex Appeals.... what evidence might impress

Post by Faithful »

Hello Etienne,

How do we challenge this? :( How are we going to put the words together when we dont have a witness? We remember leaving the PO in the room and when we got to the car, we felt it was not right. Which of the organisation do we complain to, is it the Ombudsman or the EFA? It was not written in the decision letter.

Kind regards,
Faithful.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Faithful wrote:How do we challenge this? :( How are we going to put the words together when we dont have a witness? We remember leaving the PO in the room and when we got to the car, we felt it was not right.
If no one else can confirm what happened, then all you can do is make the complaint, and hope that it is not disputed!
Which of the organisation do we complain to, is it the Ombudsman or the EFA? It was not written in the decision letter.
The EFA deals with academies, the Ombudsman with other schools.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman#d3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Faithful

Post by Faithful »

Dear Etienne,

I have just sent a letter to the appeal box.

Thanks so much for your support, you are indeed a Godsend.

Faithful
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Faithful

Well done - you've made the language much more restrained! :)
It just needs to be more concise.

1. I would omit the 10 words in the middle of "with the panel ...... as we left". (No need for you to provide any explanation.)

3. After the first line, you need write no more than 5 words " - both our application and subsequent appeal".

4-5. I'm afraid that challenging the panel's judgement, and discussing what a lay person might think, won't work. I suggest: "4. We have concerns about the criterion being applied by the panel ('whether a child will thrive')."

(No point 5)

6 (now 5). Replace this with "Point 1 above was a clear breach of the Appeals Code."

7 (now 6). Replace "to ensure ......" with "to ensure that all appellants are in a position to raise any concerns at the earliest opportunity".

8 (now 7). Replace this with "With regard to other preferences, were the panel giving weight according to where schools had been ranked on the Common Application Form? If not, how could the panel justify the relevance of these questions when they should have been focusing solely on the particular appeal that they were hearing?"

9 (now 8 ). Replace this with "Although we are confident that our son would thrive at the school, we have no wish to challenge the panel's judgement as such. However, there is no mention of any requirement to 'thrive' in paragraph 3.13(a)(i) of the Appeals Code. Surely the test is quite simply whether there is enough evidence of 'grammar school ability'?"

Hope this helps.
Etienne
Faithful

Post by Faithful »

Dear Etienne,

I just sent some documents to the appeal box, your comments and that
of other moderators will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Faithful
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would have liked to see reasons for the stage one decision in section 11 - perhaps they appear elsewhere?
Etienne
Faithful

Post by Faithful »

Etienne wrote:I would have liked to see reasons for the stage one decision in section 11 - perhaps they appear elsewhere?
I have just sent the second part to the appeal box.

Thank you so much and God bless.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks.

The panel decided that the admission arrangements had been followed properly, but appear not to have considered whether they were lawful. Technically this is an error, but not one that is likely to help you.

Overall, nothing else is obviously wrong in terms of correct procedure.
Etienne
skenty

Post by skenty »

Just a query for forum members in the know. My DD feels she did not do well on the day - failed to finish VR etc..
If when we get her scores she has not passed would they take into account her average performance in school (SAT's level 5's pretty much across the board but only a 4a in Maths at present), her previous performance with mock tests etc??
She also recently missed a significant amount of school due to open heart surgery (2011) - at this time although she qualified for home tuition there was not a teacher available - so she could not have home schooling. She eventually returned on a staged return / half days. Would they consider this fact in an appeal?? I know she may have passed and this could be academic but can't help but wonder...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

skenty wrote: She also recently missed a significant amount of school due to open heart surgery (2011) - at this time although she qualified for home tuition there was not a teacher available - so she could not have home schooling. She eventually returned on a staged return / half days. Would they consider this fact in an appeal??
Essex appeals aren't easy to win, but yes, they must take into account any relevant information you bring to their attention, especially evidence of academic ability and of any extenuating circumstances.

See our Appeal Q&As, in particular:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For academic evidence, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now