12+ appeal refused and now taking to the EFA

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
last resort

Re: 12+ appeal refused and now taking to the EFA

Post by last resort »

Just another thought...about the panel's finding that the admission procedure had been correctly applied - neither my husband nor I can remember this even being discussed at the hearing. We cannot remember them addressing the point at all, only launching into the amount of time that had passed and how difficult the catch up would be. It could of course be our memory but I suppose the clerk's notes will reveal all - if I get hold of them. Would it be of any importance if they've failed to address that issue at the hearing or is it enough if they've decided from just reading about it in our submission?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

This particular point wouldn't necessarily have required discussion at the hearing - for example, if you had been refused a place simply because there was no vacancy.

If there had been a vacancy, however, and more than one (qualified) applicant, then the paperwork should have made clear on what basis that place was allocated. And if it wasn't clear, that's when the panel ought to be asking questions!
Etienne
last resort

Post by last resort »

I have now sent my response from EFA to the appeals box and would be most grateful if you could give any further advice. Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It looks like a typical summary - they do tend to be very brief!

Don't worry - I think you'll find they will address the points you raised in your original complaint.
Etienne
last resort

Post by last resort »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have now sent a reply to the EFA, panicked that if I didn't put in the bits I felt they'd missed, they may have got lost. - put it into appeals box for your continued advice & thoughts.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No problem. :)

Good idea to mention the Court of Appeal decision (just in case they're not familiar with it!).
Etienne
last resort

Post by last resort »

Etienne - I just wanted to say thank you so much for your help with my queries. Your advice was absolutely spot on, right down to the whole process taking 2 months. The EFA were wonderfully helpful with my pedantic insistence that I needed 3 separate points made and didn't want it 'crunched down' to two.
The upshot of all this, is that our daughter has just finished enjoying her first week in the school at which she was always meant to be!
You provide a wonderful service to us parents who are just wanting the best for their children. Thank you
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

That's wonderful news Last Resort! Well done!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news indeed - well done - hope your daughter will be really happy.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Brilliant news, last resort!

Well done for persevering with this - and to the EFA for handling your complaint so well.

Mind you - you had strong grounds.

I'm afraid that panels appointed by schools managing their own appeals too often lack sufficient expertise. In his special report on appeals some years ago, the ombudsman wrote:
We have observed differences in performance between LEAs and other admission authorities … we found faults proportionately in virtually twice as many cases involving other admission authorities as compared with cases involving LEAs (39% and 20% respectively).

Many congratulations on your success, and very best wishes to your daughter for the future! :D
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now