Appealing Trafford Grammar

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Appealing Trafford Grammar

Post by Etienne »

Is there a definate way I can be sure is indeed reliable, or likewise unreliable
When working out someone's reading age, or standardised CAT score, there's no such thing as 100% reliability.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Should I be underlining key points?
Not usually. It can help, though, when there's a lengthy bit of evidence. For example, there might be something you particularly want to draw attention to in a long school report.

Don't overdo it, though.

I've had a look at the quote you sent to the appeals box, and it's absolutely fine. (I wasn't bowled over by what preceded it. 'Hardworking and conscientious' is all well and good, but for an appeal you don't want anything to suggest that she gets her results from anything other than sheer academic ability!)

Make sure that at the appeal you keep the focus on ability and academic rigour!
Don't for one second envisage her wearing said school uniform but am glad that we have (I hope) done our very best to at least give it a good go! Thanks to this great and supportive forum I feel better equipped emotionally and practically to do so!
You can only do your best - and like most parents on here you're clearly doing that.

I hope you succeed, but - if you don't - it could well be because of factors completely outside your control (e.g. facing a tough panel, or being overshadowed by appellants with even stronger cases).

Good luck!
Etienne
ladybird1

Post by ladybird1 »

Thank you so much for your prompt reply Etienne and thanks for highlighting that link.

Yes it was indeed in her school report that I was wanting to draw attention to, so I shall just underline a couple of key points, but like you say shan't over do it.

Appreciate the feedback on her teachers comment, I assume its the results that count, all very well saying a pupil would cope/do well but the proof is in the pudding and I assume one would need those strong sats/cats/reading/spelling ages etc to back up the academic ability. I hope we have enough!

Thanks for the good luck, think we'll need it. All done now. I think as a parent of a child who hasn't qualified, even by a handful of marks, knowing there shall be many who have qualified appealing for different reasons makes me feel a little less reassured. I suppose I've just got to give it a little more welly! Oh well, right, off to find an extra large envelope for all this to go in!
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Good luck Ladybird1
We appealed last year it was tough but we have no regrets and our daughter appreciated our faith in her ability. Go in with attitude nothing ventured nothing gained and you wont go wrong. The panel last year were very pleasant and did put you at ease as best they could. It was just a shame that timewise the appeal was so short partly because the panel did not question the schools case re oversubscription at all. Make sure that your written submission covers both aspects in detail just in case this happens again.
ladybird1

Post by ladybird1 »

Thank you CarpeDiem, much appreciated. Am assuming your appeal may not have been successful but must be reassuring you did everything possible and your daughter must be very thankful for that.

One question, am quite aware there shall be over subscription appeals of girls very high up on the waiting list and where the panel may be made aware of this. Am I right in thinking our appeal should be heard on its own merits and a girl on the waiting list doesn't automatically have a better chance before our case is even heard? I do appreciate we have an extra hurdle to get over, but am presuming a qualified girl has no requirement to prove academic ability they have proved it by passing exam. I of course have to prove academic ability. Hypothetically my daughter could have more overwhelming evidence of academic ability than a girl who passed. How could I ever prove this though, is it even relevant?

Just trying to feel a bit more motivated than I do about her chances against those who have qualified. Even though I believe we have strong academic evidence, other 11+ exams passed, school support and certain events having an influence on her not working to her true ability, I am just wondering if not passing on the day is all the proof they need to say she 'didn't meet the required standard'. Tough! If (or rather when) I find out the appeal has been unsuccessful, will it go into detail exactly why she didn't prove academic ability?
Jaskat

Post by Jaskat »

Thank you ladybird1, that is a very well put question. I want to know what others think, as I am (although in Warwickshire) on the other side of the 'line'. As my DD has 'passed', but not highly enough to get an automatic offer, and so is on the waiting list, how much do I need to promote the qualification part of the appeal? The school and headteacher academic evidence is quite good (SATs 5A current and predict a 6 in the numerical element of the 11+ test that she crashed), but the county appeals team said that I wouldn't need to prove academic ability as she has reached an appropriate academic standard in the 11+.

But I'm thinking that I have to compete on as many levels as possible, and to demonstrate that the margin of error in the 11+ test has mis-represented her proven long term ability. The over-subscription part is supported by evidence of dis-benefit to my DD from not attending this particular school.

So based on the feedback from the appeals team in my county, in your case you would need to prove academic ability, and I wouldn't. However, I have a feeling that the panel decide how many extra places they can make, and then rank each child based on the total strength of their case. So I think one has to just view it all as evidence of why my case is stronger than anyone else's. I suppose then that a higher 11+ score would count as strong evidence generally. I don't say this with any joy though, as I am sure we will have plenty of others with a higher 11+ score than ours :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's difficult to say for sure what any particular appeal panel will be looking for. Our general advice is here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
b. This section might also be relevant if the 11+ score was one of the admission criteria, and the score achieved was not high enough to gain a place. If you have relevant evidence of very high academic ability – and possibly of extenuating circumstances too – then, in addition to any arguments dealing with the oversubscription part of the appeal, you may wish to argue that your child was expected to perform even more highly in the 11+ than he/she did. An example of this could be if your child underperformed in two 11+ papers (VR and maths), and you have alternative evidence of very high VR scores and of very high ability in maths. I think you would need to explain to the panel why you are introducing the evidence.

It is entirely up to you – depending on the circumstances and on what evidence you have – to decide what sort of case you wish to put forward. (And it is entirely up to the panel as to what arguments they will be receptive to!)
Etienne
ladybird1

Post by ladybird1 »

Thank you Etienne.

Regarding my waiting list query, am I right in thinking the appeal panel should not automatically favour waiting list appellants over girls who are appealing on both counts? Are appeal panel members made aware what position other appellants are on the waiting list, if they are made aware should that information not influence them in any way whatsoever?

I think I just feel more motivated thinking everyone sets out at least on a fair and equal footing, and it goes from there.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

You would think so wouldn't you- but I believe all the successful appeals last year were on oversubscription. There was a very critical thread on here but it may have been removed as the school were aware of its existence , which naturally made the successful appellants who posted on here a bit concerned, which is fair enough.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
ladybird1

Post by ladybird1 »

Thank you Etienne for the link, have quoted from it:

"An appeal panel must not be told anything about where a child is on a Waiting List. If by chance they are told, then they cannot consider that information when taking their decision. The Code clearly states:
“When hearing appeals, panels must not take account of where the admission authority has placed a child on the waiting list.
"

As I thought really. Tiddlymum I know how many won last year but not on what grounds thank you for that. Oh well, we just have to give it our best don't we. I shall see if I can search out the old thread if its still here. I do understand the confidentiality aspect, is quite a nerve wracking time. Hopefully I can come back and share (even if not upheld) it was a positive experience and have to have faith our appeal shall be heard with all angles being covered :)