Grammar School offer withdrawn

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nicleah

Re: Grammar School offer withdrawn

Post by nicleah »

Thanks all :) That's helpful. I'll ring that helpline this morning and see what their view is.

Yes, I know the law isn't clear cut so it's important I put emphasis both on her academic ability and potential; and why that school is best for her. I think I can also safely argue the school won't be prejudiced by taking her on one - though if the experts have any advice on that element I'd be grateful!!

She was, I think, around 27 marks below the current cut off point. She was very nervous on the day so she didn't do as well as she could have done. So hopefully the evidence from her current head and music theory tutor will paint a better picture for her....

Etienne - I did see that thread re the GS appeal last year. That one was more straightforward as the child had already secured place at GS - just not the one of her preference.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Hi,
I'm sure you've already done it but just a reminder to read all of the information under the appeals section. There is loads of very useful info to help you - and written by the experts in great detail.
Best wishes.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, good advice. Don't labour the point on the music theory too much as I don't think lay members of the panel will easily be able to make a connection between this and the sort of aptitude they are testing for. Also, your lay panel may or may not be swayed by the "legal" side of it. They will (hopefully) come across very few mistakes such as these, so will not be used to making a decision of this nature. They are all individuals who will take a very different view of it. Some will feel the offer should be honoured whatever the circumstances; others will feel that it is stretching a point if the child does not meet the school criteria or if it prejudices another child's education in some way.

Also, do you need something over and above the predictions for level 5s by the end of year 6? I've no idea how competitive the school is that you are trying for, or what their tests consist of, but quite a high percentage of the population get level 5s by the end of year 6 - over 30% - and most selective schools are more selective than this. So you'll be needing to do something to show that she is at least in the ballpark of the current cut-off I would have thought. Do you know what X% of the population the current cut-off point represents?

On the consolation side I think you have to be philosophical if you fail and look at it this way - your daughter would not be happy being there if she knew it was just because of a mistake that the panel had decided to let her through to honour the mistaken offer. If you had been going to fight for a place there on academic grounds anyhow because you felt she was capable of scoring 27 points higher on the day then fine - and your child will know you think she was capable of this even if a place there does not materialise.

The other thing to bear in mind is that appeal panels can be flawed too. Another site which cannot be mentioned talks about an awful one that Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Girls had a few years back.

Worse still, new free schools set up, offer places and then have been known to fold the week before children were due to start there (e.g. one in Bradford last year I think). This leaves children who just have to be found a school with space who will take them with only a week or so to go before they start year 7. Not enviable. Independent schools sometimes close with very little notice. It's young for your child to be introduced to the flaws of systems such as school systems but, sometimes, good things come from the hard lessons although they were unpleasant at the time.
nicleah

Post by nicleah »

*mystery* you wise person!

Thanks for all that, all makes perfect sense. And I think I agree with it all. Interesting re music theory though: I don't want to look desperate (as I'm not) but I thought this would be a really good thing! Other views on that issue welcome...

I don't know re level 5 except that a lot of info I've read about GS appeals is that appeal panels like to see high level 5 (or 6 which they don't do at our school) so she satisfies the Level 5 element per se.

My position (other than being totally knackered and not sleeping for all this) is that if we lose, I will know that I have done all I can to right this situation for my DD, and that whatever school she does go to she will, as she knows, do really well.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, that would be my approach too - give it your best and see what happens. Other people prefer to "go with the flow" and accept that it wasn't "meant to be". Like you, I couldn't do that until I'd given it my best shot.
nicleah

Post by nicleah »

thx Mysery. I've been advised to get a really good impact statement in support of this which makes sense. Any advice on this welcome.

As a lawyer, I've tended to keep emotions out of it and concentrated on the law/procedure but legal advice is that i've got the balance the wrong way! I do take his point....
KS10

Post by KS10 »

thx Mysery
I'm sorry, but that made me laugh so much! I'm still giggling as I type this.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It cheered me up - temporarily only of course.
As always,
Mysery
nicleah

Post by nicleah »

Oops sorry! :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Nicleah, best off getting the impressions from panel members on here of whom there are a few ... they might not openly say so though. I am not one myself. I think panel members come in all shapes and forms so it's best to appeal to all types. Just enough of everything I think, but not too much, makes for the best mixture. I think the appeal threads and stickies you have been referred to on here re. academic evidence and oversubscription etc are going to be the best advice you can get.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now