SB3 appeal thread (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ptolemy

Re: SB3 appeal thread (Bucks)

Post by ptolemy »

He only got one question wrong on the maths, so I will big that up in a very positive way.
From my very limited experience, I believe that's the best thing to do. DD had done very well in Maths and NVR, but didn't achieve 121 because of low VR score. Her head spotted it and advised us to talk about her ability in Maths (lvl 5B at Yr 5 and predicted 5A/6) and explain why she didn't do well in VR (shown steady progress from lvl 2A to 4C from KS1 to Yr 5 level and predicted 5B) for her selection review.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Ok,
So I have everything ready to pop in an envelope, I am going shopping in aylesbury big tesco tomorrow..woop, woop...So I will drop it into the council offices by hand.

Do you know if they try and get these straight non-qualification appeals conducted before the second round allocations, or will one appeal just lead to another due to over subscription, even if we are (doubtful but you never know) succesful.

Thanks in advance, as always.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

southbucks3 wrote:I will drop it into the council offices by hand.
Ask Reception for a receipt.
Do you know if they try and get these straight non-qualification appeals conducted before the second round allocations
I doubt it. I don't think the appeals timetable will take any account of allocation rounds. The two processes are completely separate.
Etienne
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

I was thinking of you putting the appeal in yesterday. I bet that felt good after waiting all of this time!

Fingers crossed for you.

J
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Thank you purplerabbit..Sorry I only just noticed your lovely post

Yes it did feel a relief to off load paperwork...evidence is all there too, so I have nothing left to do until the hearing. I allowed myself a 30 second complete fantasy that they would take one read of the paperwork, phone me up and say "no need to come to a hearing, he is in!" Came crashing down to earth after 3/4 hour in tesco though! :lol:

Good luck to you too.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I have today received his first school preference appeal date ...drum roll... third week in May. Both stages are on the same day, thank goodness, school case to all, stage 1 at 9.30 personal case stage 2, 1.5 hours later.

He got fed up today as really liked the look of son number one's rowing trial week with the school, he noticed that great Marlow upper had boats there too, but no risborough upper boats. I told him he could join Marlow rowing club anyway! Doubt that is a strong reason for wanting the school. :lol:
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Marlow rowing club (town club not schools) has finally been rebuilt too after the fire. Great Marlow are huge on rowing - they did produce Sir Steve after all!

Pleased you've got a date and that it's all on same day. Hope the interim time isn't too stressful for you all.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I was planning on sitting on my hands during phase 1 of the appeal, and I know th will do the same, as it is a group hearing is there a problem with just keeping quiet about over subscription, we did not elect to do a review so the fair/ consistent bit is a bit of a time waster for us. I really do not know what we could say about the school going over pan, other than you have done it before. I also feel it is back to front, why worry about a place before you have won the right for your child yo even apply.

Anyway, my question is really will we look like idiots if we just sit there silent, does what people say in stage 1 really have any effect on spaces available, or is it just a silly game.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I was planning on sitting on my hands during phase 1 of the appeal, and I know th will do the same, as it is a group hearing is there a problem with just keeping quiet about over subscription, we did not elect to do a review so the fair/ consistent bit is a bit of a time waster for us. I really do not know what we could say about the school going over pan, other than you have done it before. I also feel it is back to front, why worry about a place before you have won the right for your child yo even apply.
Although there are definite advantages in the way things appear to be organised this year, you've touched on one of the downsides - there will be different 'categories' of appellant at the group hearing, so not all aspects of the school case will be of interest to everyone. I suspect this is why they tried a different approach last year - but that seems to have caused other problems!
The introduction of reviews with 'fair, consistent & objective' has made the organisation of appeals very, very difficult. (The grammar schools were probably hoping that those who'd been through an unsuccessful review would just give up at that point and go away .......)
southbucks3 wrote:Anyway, my question is really will we look like idiots if we just sit there silent,
Not at all. There will be others who come just to listen. Even if you have no questions, it's an opportunity to 'size up' the panel and the presenting officer before stage 2!
does what people say in stage 1 really have any effect on spaces available, or is it just a silly game.
As far as prejudice is concerned, if the school genuinely has a powerful case, then it probably won't make much if any difference.
But if any weaknesses are exposed, the school could fail to make its case for prejudice, or it might emerge with a 'dented' case.
At stage 2, it's very much in the interests of appellants if their individual case finishes up being balanced against a weakened school case!
Etienne
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hair straightened, white blouse on, big predictable whitehead on nose squashed, lippy but no mascara, paperwork shoved in oversized bag, husband versed, moderated and checked for vigorous new nasal hair growth, row about incidental nonsense over and done with.

It's time to go!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now