Rkum - appeal query Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Rkum - appeal query Bucks

Post by Guest55 »

You just have to get 121 to qualify - ALL GS places are alocated on distances after that.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

rkum wrote:I wanted to find out what the Lowest qualifying mark (LQM) was for DCHS, BHS, Chesham and Burnham was last year.
Nearest Grammar school to us is BHS.
Bucks cc told me that all qualified applicants that applied, got into BHS and Chesham regardless of distance by end of allocation rounds.
Burnham accepted up to 10.45miles and DCHS only 6.3miles. They could not give me the LQM accepted over the phone.
As advised by Guest55 earlier, I want to identify the most likely 'undersubscribed' school.
If there are any stats you can point me to that would be helpful.
You can view all the Allocation Profiles for the last 9 years in the link in my second post here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=39009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As G55 says, there is no "lowest qualifying mark". The qualifying mark is 121, or a successful Review or Appeal.
rkum

Post by rkum »

Thank you very much for the STATS Sally-Anne.
I am appreciative of how much time and effort you have dedicated to collating all that data to help people like me.
It's a real eye opener to see that this new CEM exam really favours the private cohort.

So from what I understand: If I can put an academically solid case in front of the appeal panel AND there are places available in the school we choose; the theory is that my daughter could get a place regardless of the 101 mark.
Thanks Again
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's a real eye opener to see that this new CEM exam really favours the private cohort.
Sorry, that's not true as it's a self-selecting group who sit the Selection Test.

You will need VERY strong evidence to overturn that low score; what KS2 levels is your DD predicted?
rkum

Post by rkum »

Thanks for feedback Guest55.
You are dealing with an ignoramus here - does 'self-selecting' mean that in those schools you have to opt in as opposed to bucks state schools where you opt out ?

To be quite honest I haven't had a conversation with her teacher about predicted scores because I never thought I'd be going down this route. The writing level does worry me- however we have worked towards entrance exams and I know that has improved since last year. However, the school need to carry out their own assessment.
The maths and comprehension is much stronger.
Like I said its a long shot, and we may give up before we get to the end.
Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So from what I understand: If I can put an academically solid case in front of the appeal panel AND there are places available in the school we choose; the theory is that my daughter could get a place regardless of the 101 mark.
Yes.

You might succeed in getting a place even if the school is full!
The point of G55's advice is that if you try for a grammar school that tends to be undersubscribed, you might stand a better chance as you could have one less hurdle to overcome.
(I say "could", because, even though a school might appear to be undersubscribed, the number of appellants might possibly exceed the number of vacancies. That is why you must put forward reasons for wanting a place at the school in question - just in case there are ultimately too many qualified appellants for the number of vacancies available.)

Section C of the following thread from last year will give you an idea of what lies ahead if you wish to appeal.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=36418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like I said its a long shot, and we may give up before we get to the end.
You're keeping your options open, which is usually a good idea.
You're free to cancel your appeal at any time.
Bucks cc much more helpful today and said I could make changes by sending them email.
When amending your CAF preferences, you ought to put any grammar schools at the top of the order.
For further advice, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-form-caf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
rkum

Post by rkum »

Thank you so much Etienne for your advice.
I don't know how I would have got all this information without the help of this forum.
Will meet with the teachers next week and progress from there.
Kind regards All
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now