What is the equivalent of the old levels system?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: What is the equivalent of the old levels system?

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry I don't know what you mean - you can still show good progress from KS1 - your child needs to be 'exceeding' all the way through.

Sub levels were never reliable [or defined] and varied between schools.
MrGrimes

Post by MrGrimes »

That's the issue - under the "old" system, he was exceeding (i.e. he was a year ahead of the average). But under the "new" system, this equates to "meeting expectations" only, with no visibility of whether it's at the upper end or not (i.e. could be on the border of meeting and exceeding).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No - that's not true - meeting expectations is the average.

Exceeding year expectations is the same as being above.
MrGrimes

Post by MrGrimes »

Is that documented anywhere? It doesnt correlate with what I've seen so far (admittedly, I only have one end of year results to judge this by). It doesnt help that schools are saying that the old system cannot be compared to the new system, which means it's hard to argue the point that a child who has exceeded his year average for 3 years in a row is now only meeting expectations on the new system.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Has the school not explained its new levels?

From school websites I've looked at - 'at age expectations' equates to 'old' level 2b in Year 2, old level 3b in Year 4 and old level 4b in Year 6.
MrGrimes

Post by MrGrimes »

Guest55 wrote:Has the school not explained its new levels?

From school websites I've looked at - 'at age expectations' equates to 'old' level 2b in Year 2, old level 3b in Year 4 and old level 4b in Year 6.
So 'old' level 2A in Year 2, and old level 4C in Year 4 would equate to 'exceeding expectation'?

The expectation was that for Y5 he'd have been 4B or 4A, except the end of year report showed 'meeting expectations' - this is what I'm confused on. (I can't rule out that he had a dip in performance, but that isn't what the primary school is giving as the reason).
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The best thing to do is ask at your child's school. There is no set system, there is not even a universal set of names!

We have developing , something or other and embedded...I think..it's changed twice in 15 months!

We have also been told that it is not linear so cannot be equated to levels. I await the next version..thinking of running a book on it.
cazien

Post by cazien »

We found it so much easier as parents to understand the old system. Our primary now has Emerging, Developing and Secure. We found it useful to know whether they were "just" in that level or "nearly" in the next level.
yoyo123 wrote:..I think..it's changed twice in 15 months! We have also been told that it is not linear so cannot be equated to levels. I await the next version..thinking of running a book on it.
Agree, I too wonder how long this version will last (I vote ... three months after new Education Minister is appointed!).
MrGrimes

Post by MrGrimes »

How much of this uncertainty will be known to the appeals panel, how well versed will they be in it, and how will their judgment be affected by it? Probably impossible to say, I guess, but maybe somebody has some idea on the best approach to take?

I.e. child is 'meeting expectations', so use evidence from previous years which shows them actually to be above average.