Standardisation Issues and Non-Qualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ricky74

Re: Standardisation Issues and Non-Qualification

Post by Ricky74 »

What is the sibling benefit?

I have twins. One 'pased' comfortably, the other will end up at appeal yet ftom what I can gather the sibling argument for grammar carries no weight, unlike non grammars.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Ricky74 wrote:What is the sibling benefit?

I have twins. One 'pased' comfortably, the other will end up at appeal yet ftom what I can gather the sibling argument for grammar carries no weight, unlike non grammars.
(I think that) if your grammar school admits on score rank only, then it cannot give precedence to siblings. If admission is by achieving a 'pass ' score, then 'sibling' is allowed as an oversubscription criterion, along with proximity etc. Admission on score order treats each applicant as an individual, admitting according to categories above a basic pass (as in Buckinghamshire) identifies grammar schools as 'community schools for the cleverer kids', so to speak.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Ricky74 wrote:What is the sibling benefit?

It carries the same weight irrespective of grammar or upper schools (taking into account individual schools' stance on siblings, of course), but ToadMum is correct. Sibling rules come into play when it comes to allocation of places, and even then, it's normally for a child whose elder sibling is already at the school in question and in the case of a grammar school, only if the younger child has qualified.

I seem to recall that on the unlikely occasion where there is one place left at a school and the next two children on the list are twins (both qualified or both non-qualified), both would be admitted. It would be unfair to pass over them to the next singleton on the list!

There is no "sibling benefit" when it comes to qualification for grammar school, although I see no harm in making the point at appeal that twin A would benefit from joining twin B at the same school, but it could only be an accompanying point to strong academic evidence of suitability, not in lieu of it.
LoveBucks

Post by LoveBucks »

We had applied for Raw Scores and on the comms from the BCC, the age of the child at the time of the exam was mentioned as 10.28. Have no idea how to interpret this age. Would anybody know what this means? Thanks.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

LoveBucks wrote:We had applied for Raw Scores and on the comms from the BCC, the age of the child at the time of the exam was mentioned as 10.28. Have no idea how to interpret this age. Would anybody know what this means? Thanks.
First question - what was his / her actual chronological age on the day of the test?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It looks like 10 years, 3 and a bit months - is that about right?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Assumedly your child was 10 years and 103 days (or just over 14.5 weeks) old when she took the test?

edited to add crossed with Guest!
LoveBucks

Post by LoveBucks »

Guest55 wrote:It looks like 10 years, 3 and a bit months - is that about right?
Yes. That sounds about right. Thanks. Was a bit perplexed with the numbers added after the decimal point. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now