Appeal Deadline & other questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Defra

Appeal Deadline & other questions

Post by Defra »

Hi all

Is there a deadline to appeal against not getting your first choice grammar school.
hermanmunster

Re: Appeal Deadline

Post by hermanmunster »

https://www.essex.gov.uk/Education-Scho ... l_Form.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are you in Essex? If so there is some info in the document. It indicates that the appeal application should be made within 20 school days of the letters being sent. They also say

" if your appeal is received later than this date it will still be dealt with but it may not be heard before the
end of the summer term"
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

You'll find answers to most questions in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is there a deadline to appeal against not getting your first choice grammar school.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA: X-post with Herman.
Etienne
Defra

Post by Defra »

Hi
Can anyone let me know if appeals must be based on academic merit alone - do issues such as extenuating circumstances requiring siblings to be in the same school etc count for anything? What about social issues child has had to overcome in order to get to the same academic level as others?

thks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have a read of the FAQ which has a lot of info.

The main is that the most important bit is being able to produce academic evidence.

You can also discuss extenuating circumstances and they may help if they are strong but these alone will not lead to a successful appeal, you must still have the academics
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Defra wrote:Hi
Can anyone let me know if appeals must be based on academic merit alone - do issues such as extenuating circumstances requiring siblings to be in the same school etc count for anything? What about social issues child has had to overcome in order to get to the same academic level as others?

thks
You can use any argument you want to - but if you are appealing for a place at a school admitting on academic ability, then this should really be your focus.

As Essex is not a fully selective authority, if the need for your DC to be in the same school is your overriding argument, it is likely that a counter to this would be that community schools (which admit pupils of all abilities, not just those of 'non grammar' ability) provide this facility. Grammar schools in Essex and Southend do not have a sibling policy; they select each pupil on his or her own academic merit.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Defra

Post by Defra »

How much do I need to rely on academics if my DDs score was already well above the amount required for those in catchment - just 2 points below those currently offered out of catchment?

Also - can the Panel just allow a successful applicant to move up the waiting list? Rather than make an offer outright?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Defra wrote:How much do I need to rely on academics if my DDs score was already well above the amount required for those in catchment - just 2 points below those currently offered out of catchment?

Also - can the Panel just allow a successful applicant to move up the waiting list? Rather than make an offer outright?
No, if your appeal is upheld, the school must admit your child; if it isn't, then they stay in the same position that they were in before the appeal took place. The IAP can't tell the school to move you up the list. Unfortunately, applicants higher up on the list than your child winning their appeal won't mean that if yours is unsuccessful, they will get in more quickly anyway as the waiting list has gone down, because the physical number in the year group at the school would have to go down below PAN again before the next child could be admitted from the waiting list.

I would point out, also, that a place won on appeal but turned down does not then 'free up' an extra place, apart from in the sense that the number who have to give up their place before the waiting list would move again will have gone down. I can't imagine anyone going through the appeals process 'just for fun', but if someone knows beforehand that even if they were successful, they would not accept the place, then I would urge then not to proceed with an appeal.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Defra

Post by Defra »

Hi all,

I have passed the 20 days for submitting an Appeal to a Grammar School. Is it ok to write 'Case details to follow' in the online application form and then submit my grounds and supporting evidence in a couple of weeks. Would just like to submit the Appeal application so it is heard in the first round of applications.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

you can send info in later https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have you spoken to anyone in appeals about the chance of your application being considered with the on-time applications?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now