Unsuccessful appeal letter

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CrossCountryMum

Unsuccessful appeal letter

Post by CrossCountryMum »

I've sent a copy of our letter to the appeals box.

Could you check it seems OK?

I've requested a copy of the clerk's notes.

Thanks. :(
Etienne

Re: Unsuccessful appeal letter

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

The Code says:
    • 2.25 The panel must ensure that the decision is easily comprehensible so that the parties can understand the basis on which the decision was made. The decision letter must contain a summary of relevant factors that were raised by the parties and considered by the panel.
What they've written seems minimal - but I suggest we wait and see what the clerk's notes reveal.
Etienne
CrossCountryMum

Etienne wrote:Welcome to Appeals! :)

The Code says:
    • 2.25 The panel must ensure that the decision is easily comprehensible so that the parties can understand the basis on which the decision was made. The decision letter must contain a summary of relevant factors that were raised by the parties and considered by the panel.
What they've written seems minimal - but I suggest we wait and see what the clerk's notes reveal.
Thankyou. The school have acknowledged my request and have forwarded it on to the Clerk. Hope we don't have too long to wait. I have also lodged a complaint with the EFA. They say they'll reply within three working days!
icantthinkofagoodone

Post by icantthinkofagoodone »

Following with interest - also failed on appeal and wondering what options are open to us, and whether it is worth pursuing....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

icantthinkofagoodone wrote:Following with interest - also failed on appeal and wondering what options are open to us, and whether it is worth pursuing....
Welcome to Appeals! :)

Please start your own thread if you need any help.

Suggest you start by reading the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I wonder if as hard as it is you might be better off focusing on getting your ds ready for the school where he has got a place and making the best of that for the moment. There can be movement once yr7 starts and starts.... some kids do sometimes decide the long distances travelled is too much or just the school is not for them and move elsewhere. There is the possibility of doing an in year exam and appeal in yr 8 or 9.

It is such a tough thing to go through and you must be terribly disappointed for your ds and that is understandable. I hope you find a way to move forward
CrossCountryMum

Hi, we've just received a response to our request for the notes of the appeal.

We've received a letter and a copy of the notes made during the appeal. Nothing about the discussion thereafter. Should I have expected this?

At the time of the exam we were not aware of his verbal processing issues which meant that he should have had 25% extra time, this seems more relevant to the issue of not completing the questions than his anxiety about the test, but was not acknowledged.

The evidence from the EP is all extremely supportive except for VP issues which do not hamper him at school, just in stressful exams and could be alleviated with extra time.

Is the 'emotionally suited' comment relevant considering they initially said not of the required standard academically?

Really cross that after nearly three weeks we still haven't actually gotten any further. :(
CrossCountryMum

DC17C wrote:I wonder if as hard as it is you might be better off focusing on getting your ds ready for the school where he has got a place and making the best of that for the moment. There can be movement once yr7 starts and starts.... some kids do sometimes decide the long distances travelled is too much or just the school is not for them and move elsewhere. There is the possibility of doing an in year exam and appeal in yr 8 or 9.

It is such a tough thing to go through and you must be terribly disappointed for your ds and that is understandable. I hope you find a way to move forward
We are absolutely doing this. But owing to DS's nature, moving at a later point will be almost impossible, we were keen to get him in the right school to start with.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I think ( although maybe wrong about this) that if the usual way a child works in class doesn't require extra time then it can't be given in exams.
CrossCountryMum

We'll never know because we didn't ask. :(

The evidence is there for the extra time in the EP report, but the SENCO at school didn't pick up on it. Lack of understanding or reading? Can't be sure which. I know he struggled with time in some of the SATs, so it would have been beneficial had he had it.