Blank test paper?!?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hoxtonbabe

Blank test paper?!?

Post by Hoxtonbabe »

Good afternoon all,

I’m in a bit of a tizz as my son sat the entrance exam for a well know North London grammar ( I’m new here so it sure if I can name it)

My son had been asking if I had his results back as some of his friends recently received theirs, so I email the school and they have got back to me today claiming other than his name he didn’t answer a single question! He has sat other exams and answered then etc so it makes no sense that he would sit in the exam hall for all those hours and not even attempt to answer a single question. He is actually the one that has been prodding me to get the results, so why would he prod me to do this if he didn’t actually do anything.

I’m asking to see the paper as I know he’s done it and if I question him on it this afternoon I know he will say he has as he has been excited about it, so I can’t simply accept them saying he’s not done it without any proof although they are saying they don’t usually let parents see the tests but given what they are claiming I am wondering if I can request to see this under an Subject request? Has anyone else been through this?

Personally I think they lost it as they didn’t even send me the results to say he’s got zero, if I didn’t ask/email they would never had contacted me to even say he got 0 points
hermanmunster

Re: Blank test paper?!?

Post by hermanmunster »

That does sound bizarre - presumably they will have had invigilators who might notice if a child sat there doing nothing for the whole time?

You need to have another chat with them.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

How strange. Yes you can name the school if you're comfortable with that, knowing that perhaps the school in question might lurk on here and be able to identify you.

It does sound as if they've lost his paper or somehow he filled in something else (working out paper?) instead of answering on the sheet. However, why on earth didn't they notify you of the result? They must have a record of him signing in for the test so he is due a result, even if it is zero!
Hoxtonbabe

Post by Hoxtonbabe »

I’m absolutely in bits over this. The admissions officer said he did their in-house English paper but the math and VR that is marked by GL is totally blank. He is actually in the advanced math group at school so for him to not even attempt one math question is unbelievable. I can understand if they said it was English as that’s his weak area but for him to not attempt math is not even plausible.

They said to ask him later and see if he can walk me through what he did and get back to then later/tomorrow
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just wondering if in fact there was an answer sheet to be optically read and he put his answers on the question booklet?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

hermanmunster wrote:Just wondering if in fact there was an answer sheet to be optically read and he put his answers on the question booklet?
That’s my thought too.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I think that's the most likely explanation. I still don't understand why you didn't get a result though, especially as he completed one component of the test. Perhaps they assumed he left after the English paper and therefore didn't complete the test.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Would you want a place at this school??

I would hope that if they had a blank sheet they might call you back to discuss it
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:Just wondering if in fact there was an answer sheet to be optically read and he put his answers on the question booklet?
That was my first thought.

Commiserations if that turns out to be the case (several years back, now, one of ours probably omitted to follow the instruction to Turn Over in one of her papers :shock: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hoxtonbabe

Post by Hoxtonbabe »

Hi,

That’s my thought too, that he answered on the question sheet so I’ve asked them to check this, but I’ve just picked him and he told me clearly he marked his answer on the separate paper where you need to put a line through it.

I’m convinced someone be it the school or the assessment centre has lost it and now saying he didn’t do it. It’s a horrible thing to do to anyone let alone a child.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now