Head Teachers Additonal information BLANK on S review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Head Teachers Additonal information BLANK on S review

Post by Etienne »

TheHurdle wrote: In references for work - a plain reference can mean bad things because legally they cant give bad ref. So I wondered if blank boxes are seen as that sort of thing? The head confirms academic ability I think but doesn't actually write a word about the child?
I don't think a blank section 6 would be interpreted negatively, but it would have been a bonus if the head had added a really supportive comment:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On her reports we have comments like " outstanding pupil" "achieves excellently", "excellent attitude" , "she will do very well academically", role model, assets to her class, etc????
A focus on "achieves excellently" and "she will do very well academically" would have been fine in section 6. In a school report they might get lost in among "role model" and "asset to her class". (Remember - a review panel may only have minutes to skim through a case.)

Before you decide what to do, could you say what attainment grades are used in the school report (as opposed to the review form) for the core subjects?
Etienne
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

y 3 reading 130
maths 112

y4 reading 123
writing above expected
maths 119

y5 reading 130
maths 111
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Really sorry that your having a tough time already without the addition of having to compose yourself for a review. I have been in your shoes and it’s so stressful I sympathise with anyone going through it .

Would it be possible to ask the HT to write a few supporting words? If not I did include my DD1 school report and underlined the academic references and made reference to this in my statement, this way they could glance at the points and then flick through the report. We were successful, although it was a few years ago when the odds were moe preferable at review. Try not to fret ( I know it’s ver difficult not to !) but know that once it’s sent off you have done everything you can. Dolly xx
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

I have just noticed on her school review form the school have put predicted performance, 100 - 111 and yet she has never got below 111 in her maths on all her reports?

would this be a mistake?

Thanks Dolly, that's a very very good idea to underline the positive remarks. The head will not budge I have not got the energy to go into combat with her. The idea that any teacher or head in particular would stand in a childs way is abhorrent to me and I am not in the mood to argue. I asked one of her teachers once if they thought she was 11+ material, I got a lecture on how awful and divisive the 11+ is - its dreadful, its snobby etc etc etc.

Other parents did warn me of this when i said we are not tutoring DD.....they said - dont rely on the heads support she doesn't agree with grammars. Shes been over heard sneering at parents who tutor and go for the test at all. She has made her views on all sorts of politics well known since we were at the school.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Oh dear she doesn’t sound great.

With regards to the Maths prediction. I would just ask politely to check the data.
Dollyx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The KS2 predictions are for the test if she was going to do it.

What are the other numbers? CATs or ..... are they explained?
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

But why would they predict 100 - 110 when she has never got below 111? why would they predict she actually goes down....
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

she hasnt done cats.

only sats as far as i am aware - its a bog standard primary in non grammar areas.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They are a completely different measure ... the KS2 test scores are not relevant to any other data.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

TheHurdle wrote:y 3 reading 130
maths 112

y4 reading 123
writing above expected
maths 119

y5 reading 130
maths 111
So do they not use a grading system for all three subjects (reading, writing & maths) each year?
For example, I think most schools would have at least three grades on their reports:
Below the expected level
EXS (working at the expected level)
Above the expected level
Etienne