Appeals in Bexley

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bexley Mum 2

Appeals in Bexley

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

There is lots of very useful information about appeals on this forum but I wondered if anyone could give me any specific advice about appeals in Bexley. One of my son's best friends got 430 in the 11+ (pass mark 436). I'm wondering if I should encourage his mum to appeal or if I should leave well alone and not try and raise false hopes. The boy is very clever and hard working but I know did very little practice at home for the tests. He lives with just his mum who is Russian. Her English is good now but when I first knew her about 6 years ago I remember her saying to me that she was unable to help her son with his schoolwork, particularly reading, because her English was so poor (which it was!). Does anyone have any thoughts on if an appeal might be successful on the grounds of English not being the first language spoken at home? Do appeals only work if you can prove something upset the child around the time of the tests (eg family illness/death etc)? I'd be grateful for any advice.

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Bexley Mum 2

I have no particular knowledge of Bexley, but generally speaking English as a second language would be a valid reason for appeal. The less time the child has spent in this country, the stronger the argument.

The problem is more likely to be whether the parent has sufficient alternative evidence of high ability. See the Q&As B11.

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now