Letter with decision

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MCon2019

Re: Letter with decision

Post by MCon2019 »

Thank you etienne. Yes these were her words and she went on further about how in the next few years they wouldnt have to allow any of our children in as their numbers are rising too.

when we asked why they have allowed Slough children in before and she said they needed the money! I was gobsmacked .

I will request the clerks notes and proceed to complain to the ombudsman as our only recourse left. I know its too late now for my child (will wait till the result comes in next week but obviously now a foregone conclusion!!) but may help others in the future not go through what we have. The stress and sleepless nights this has caused to then find out they werent even remotely interested in our case is unbelievable.

Thanks so much for your help as i have found this site the only place to turn to when everything has been so confusing. xx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

MCon2019 wrote:Thank you etienne. Yes these were her words and she went on further about how in the next few years they wouldnt have to allow any of our children in as their numbers are rising too.
when we asked why they have allowed Slough children in before and she said they needed the money! I was gobsmacked .
Are you sure this was from someone on the panel?
It sounds more like a school representative (someone who is there to oppose the appellants, and is definitely not independent) than a member of the independent appeal panel (who must be unbiased).
I will request the clerks notes
If you want to send me a copy, I don't mind checking them to see if there are irregularities.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and proceed to complain to the ombudsman as our only recourse left.
If you were appealing for an academy, the ESFA now handles complaints, rather than the ombudsman.
For a detailed explanation, see the whole of section D in the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks so much for your help as i have found this site the only place to turn to when everything has been so confusing. xx
You're welcome. :)
Etienne
MCon2019

Post by MCon2019 »

Yes Etienne it was the lady on the panel. That's why I was so in shock. The admissions authority representative was actually much nicer and only really argued the points about SRP and was pleasant. This lady just came across as so biased- I couldn't speak after that as I was in shock!
I will wait till the decision is in next week then request the notes and send them over to you. It will be an interesting read if she captured it all!!
Thank you
MCon2019

Post by MCon2019 »

Just as an update- I registered a complaint regarding this appeal with the EFSA
And I have just received an email rejecting my complaint after their investigation as they said the lady on the panel could not have said that these places weren't for Slough children! Unbelievable and complete lies. I had read the clerks notes and it was very interesting what was left out of them!

8 months of stress and to be called a liar- twice! Utterly fixed and biased system. Just so sad and angry for my daughter who now believes working hard to pass something and get the highest score in her school was a complete waste of her time and effort!
My advise to anyone about to go through this this year is to carefully consider where you appeal to. We wrongly focused on appealing to the Bucks schools as she had passed with such a High score but in fact we should have focused on the Slough ones as your case is stronger if you have reasons to back up a failed score. In one of my rejection letters it actually stated that my daughters bullying had a huge impact on her but wasn't enough to stop her passing with such a high score!
Greenwich Mum

Post by Greenwich Mum »

MCon, do you have any witnesses to confirm that that lady has actually said that.
Did anyone come with you to the appeal?
I also think that people should be allowed to record appeal hearings because in many circumstances you need to prove that something was actually said. Obviously, clerk’s notes can never be complete. Sometimes a couple of words can make all the difference.
MCon2019

Post by MCon2019 »

My husband was with me and he heard it all and was as equally shocked as me! We may not have won the investigation (which we were never contacted about just my original submission which in hindsight was probably not comprehensive enough- I did think I would be contacted for further information which I was not!). Hopefully being investigated may make the panel less discriminatory for future people.

My daughter has settled into her new school and is happy there so at least I have that. The work level seems quite low but the only option I have is to move house and get her into the Bucks school for yr 8 ( they take an extra 30 but we are now 39 on the list!) but I don't think I will bother as she's happy!