looming appeal date

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just click on one, and it appears in your message. :D

Watch out for the "cool" one - the Bulletin Board Code for it is " 8 )", so if you post the number 8 before a bracket you will get Mr Cool instead!
mummog

Post by mummog »

I quite like the sound of him! :lol:
mummog

Post by mummog »

Etienne

I hope you do not mind me asking a question which I originally posted yesterday but which seems to have become tangled up with emoticons!

You asked:
How independent was the independent assessment?

Totally independent and highly reommended - I approached her about DD at very short notice and she kindly agreed to conduct the tests at her home this morning. As testing is normally done at her place of work she did not have the WRAT 4 available to her today - hence the use of WRAT 3 which has obviously now been superceeded. However she confirms that this should be acceptable in this case - would you agree?

I would not dream of questioning the abilities and professionalism of the assessor (the tests were conducted under the appropriate conditions and timed very precisely), however, I don't remember seeing anyone posting results like this previously, and I am now becoming worried about showing them. Do you think that they can be correct?

The appeal is tomorrow (snow permitting) and I am getting a bit wobbly about it all.

Many thanks
Mummog
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear mummog

If you were dealing with an individual rather than an established organisation, I was just wondering how you would satisfy the panel of the independence of the person concerned.

Usually, I suggest, one would expect to see a note of their qualifications and of the relevant professional body to which they belong. Chartered Education Psychologists, for example, appear on a register, have had their qualifications checked, and are required to adhere to a code of professional conduct.

I wouldn't have thought that WRAT 3 rather than WRAT 4 should matter too much.

As for being 'wobbly'. there'd be something wrong if you weren't! :)
Etienne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thanks Etienne

Yes, I absolutely agree about the relevant qualifications - the individual concerned is a fully qualified professional, holding a current practicing certificate and appearing on the professional register. I asked for the tests to be done as the school could not give me specific information on reading age above 12 and in your Q's and A's you suggest evidence of tested reading age.

The Access reading comprehension results give a breakdown into the following sections:
reading age 15.9 years, comprising:
literal comprehension - 17 (average score of gender age 13.3)
vocabulary - 13 (average score of gender age 10.4)
infeference - 11 (average score of gender age 8.8)
analysis - 5 (average score of gender age 5.2)
The analysis is a little low as you can see.

I wonder if any of your other members have come across these tests which I think are often carried out to identify dyslexia, or if anyone has presented of this kind of reading age to an appeal panel. All info gratefully received and apologies for the waffly bits!

Mummog
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mummog wrote:infeference - 11 (average score of gender age 8.8)
Oooh look Mummog! Mr Cool has made a guest appearance! :lol:
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi there Sally-Anne

You're right - the cheeky chappy slipped in there without me even noticing and despite your prior warning!

M
dejavu

The "how will they cope at gs" question

Post by dejavu »

Hi Mammog

I have now switched over from "Phil the non-believer" post - as he now believes in the appeals system following his successful appeal. Well done!

Thank you for such kind words about being a "legend" - but I wish it was in different circumstances - so we have to wait for DD doing 12+ on Monday!

I have been thinking long and hard about your case.

One of the main problems as I see it is that you have to convince the panel that the 2 scores of 116 are the best that she can do. Has she reached the ceiling? So you must already have an answer for that question?

But the quesion that the panel asked about both of my children was that: "If they pass the appeal he/she would be amongst children who got really high scores in the 11+, so how would they cope with the pressure of being with children like that?"

My reply - both times (one successful appeal, one wasn't) was that : My son/daughter is already in a very high achieving and academically competitive year. The whole class 11+ pass rate was well above the Bucks average (well over 30% -35%). Both children were in the top 25% of the high achieving class for Maths and English, and doing well - so they have no problems coping in this type of environment - in fact they are thriving - and we are convinced that they will continue to flourish if they go to gs.

Also, with regards your DS's confidence/nerves issue - are there any recent examples where you can show that she has triumphed?

Good luck!

But those extra Reading etc results you got were excellent!
many thanks
dejavu
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi Dejavu
Great to hear from you :)
Lots of food for thought in your post. This year, our school performed well with 21/55 passing. Now my maths is not fantastic so my DS (Yr9) has taken pity on me and worked out the percentage. He tells me that it is 38%, pretty good I think. She has been on the top tables from the word go so I think this is pretty good evidence of her abilities.

In terms of her nervousness, she had indeed triumphed and I had not thought of mentioning this to the panel. In Year 4, she was chosen for the lead role in a school production. Not very impressive you may think. However, within less than a week, she had learned over 60 lines perfectly and went on to give such a fantastic performance that other parents still talk about it to this day! The HT in his recommendation, and amongst other good things, described her as having an 'outstanding talent in drama'. All this from a child who would not, until a couple of months ago, walk along the main corridor of the school without the support of a friend. Might this be worth mentioning or would they not consider drama as being relevant? Comments please.

I also meant to wish your father well in my last post but went off on a tangent and forgot!

Mummog x
dejavu

Worth mentioning drama?

Post by dejavu »

Hi Mummog

Not sure much weight would be given to being good at drama. But it might be a good example to use IF lack of confidence/nerves crops up in their questions - as she overcame her "problem" and triumphed. And obviously the school saw her potential and thought she would make a success of it otherwise they would not have chosen her for the lead role, and she proved them right!
many thanks
dejavu
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now