I'm new and wanted to say hello

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Katherine66

Post by Katherine66 »

Hi Bad Dad

apologies for not getting back to you sooner - small family crisis necessitating dashing off to Bedfordshire.

DD with her score of 321 was ranked 326. I still haven't got round to calling Admissions for her raw scores but keep nagging at me and I will get round to it eventually.

As for the test itself, as I think you have mentioned in previous postings, it is hard to rely on feedback from a 10 year old but in discussing the test with other 11+ parents it would appear that some children (my daughter included) had difficulty in working out what was being asked of them and with the severe time constraints wanted to put something down so just put the first answer that came into their heads. Obviously there was no time to go back and check so those 'silly' answers stayed put! I would say that the test didn't necessarily identify those with the right ability, as I gather there were a considerable number of children that didn't pass despite expectation/evidence to the contrary (us being one of those).

However, in our appeal we were careful not to criticise the system and/or the test. It is what it is and any argument to the contrary would surely beg the response that there were many children who did pass despite the perceived flaws.

So, to stop waffling and answer your question - I think that it is perhaps too early to tell whether the test is appropriate and whether the children passing are suitable grammar school material and, yes, I do think that my daughter had a bad day for whatever reason. However, all water under the bridge now ....

Katherine66
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now