Best place to move to..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

According to Telegraph it was

"In Warwickshire, where pupils are due to sit the entrance test today, some 1,789 have been registered, compared with 1,749 a year earlier. In 2007, 950 pupils were competing for places."
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Certainly something strange about their figures...

According to the secondary schools booklet, the number of children sitting the test for 2009 entry (2008 test); East Warks 836, South Warks 957 (I guess there may be a very small number of children applying for both areas, but I'd be surprised if it was 101).

When my daughter sat in 2007 (for 2008 entry) there were 739 in East Warks (so according to the Telegraph, that leaves only 211 in South Warks!??)

The year before, those not wishing to sit the test had to opt out rather than register.

Charlotte
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

1789 children were planning to sit the exam for LS, RH and Ashlawn.

Is that right?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Yes, that was the number who registered to sit the test.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I think that's the number for South & East Warks combined. LSS, RHS and Ashlawn are East Warks &, I imagine, will probably be about 8 - 900.

May be wrong though...
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Sorry, I was tired! I didn't read newdawn's post properly. I concur with what you have written Charlotte67.
sonofducklow

Post by sonofducklow »

Hi there,

I was given to understand by someone in the LEA that there were 970 registered for this year's exam, and I think that is for East Warwickshire only, all 3 schools i.e. LSS, RHS, Ashlawn. Not clear what percentage of those are male/female. Seemed to me on Saturday that there were more girls than boys, but that might have been an artefact of our testing centre, and not apply to all the others. Hope that helps. According to The Times on Saturday there were 'thousands' registered in Warwickshire......
DuntonBassett

Post by DuntonBassett »

Thank you all for your replies. I like the 192.com and satellite maps idea! House hunting from your armchair is cool. We had to abort the Rugby tour; youngest scraped her arm badly falling off bike and the inside of Fielding Palmer was all we saw that weekend. Then the family got bad coughs and colds, not sure if it is the H1n1 but it has dragged on for a week and some.

I am trying not to panic with information overload,numbers sitting the exams are quite a few! But I am glad to read of the adjudicator's ruling on the other thread and have picked up some info of the areas I shld focus on.

I have bitten the bullet and registered with Hind Estates and propertyfinder.com and mouseprice.com to find,price and sell property. Is everyone from Lutterworth moving to Rugby??? Hind Estates couldn't come out this weekend to value the house. They do know we are not desperate to move(yet!). Well, there is so much to do but have to keep chipping away at it. Have read through Rugby, LS and Ashlawn admission criteria a thousand times now. Reading Rose petal's thread is quite helpful as well. Many of the posts apply to my situation.

Thanks again.
DuntonBassett

Post by DuntonBassett »

Hello again, nice knowledgeable people!

Does Bilton High and Ashlawn share a common priority area? I have read the school admissions criteria for the priority areas for both schools and if disaster strikes on exam days, I need to be in catchment for Ashlawn School and/or Bilton High. There's a new-ish property on Berrybanks (for Bilton High and Rugby High) and another on Penny Lane off Hillmorton/Ashlawn (for Ashlawn and LSS) but it means I am on 2 opposite ends. Is there a definite area 'in between' that serves as a catchment for both Bilton High and Ashlawn School? I can't seem to work that bit out for definite. I'd rather not go for an old house and am looking at the newer developments.

If I have to choose one or the other, which is the 'better' school, discounting the fact the Ashlawn has 30 selective places?
I am beginning to love Rugby now, although if it were for me alone, I'd live right next to the Golf course!
Thank you in advance.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Hi DB,

I think (although may be wrong) that there is no overlap of the Bilton High and Ashlawn priority areas. Part of the divide is down the middle of the Dunchurch Road! Odd numbers = Ashlawn, even numbers = Bilton.

Given the choice I would go for Ashlawn for a number of reasons; one being that it has a sixth form - I have heard the argument that 'better' teachers are more likely to be attracted to schools with sixth forms. Maybe baloney, but who knows?

Also, Hillmorton is rather nice & there are plenty of shops, pubs, etc. Berryfields seems (not intimate with the area) to be part of a very large estate.

There are plenty of buses to/from the grammar schools (and all schools).

Good luck!