Yamin151

Re: K.E.S. Boys 2015

Post by Yamin151 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy to agree with that!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yamin151 wrote:I'm less chuffed that since my son might take his next grade out of school now, it will no longer count towards his IST Mark, which seems a little unfair. It doesn't matter of course, but does seem unfair and somewhat arbitrary.
Yes but what is more unfair is for those boys who don't do a musical instrument at all - their entire year and IST grades are completely compromised as they cannot achieve the highest grade, nor can they realistically achieve any Awards as they cannot do solo performances!

I would say that I think the rotating of music lessons is one of the strengths of the school as it means that no child misses the same lesson every week - I would think it pretty unfair if one child always got the break or lunch slot and others were constantly having to miss lessons to accommodate them. Most schools in Warwickshire try and support the CMS as it would be a real shame if it vanished altogether - by supporting it with paid lessons, it enables the Council to provide some free lessons to all kids in primary schools.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are good reasons why some students have to have music lessons before school, at lunch time or after school. A good school will meet those needs.

The thread is about the quality of music lessons at K.E.S ...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Guest55....I don't know whether you are deliberately trying to derail this thread but:

I am talking about KES...you appear to be talking about Bucks schools...

I quote:
Yes but what is more unfair is for those boys who don't do a musical instrument at all - their entire year and IST grades are completely compromised as they cannot achieve the highest grade, nor can they realistically achieve any Awards as they cannot do solo performances!
Anyone who is in KES will understand what this means.

I quote:
I would say that I think the rotating of music lessons is one of the strengths of the school
This is about KES..who do rotate the lessons every week - a massive feat in terms of rotas etc for the whole school.

And then I talk about Warwickshire CMS and why it's nice that secondary schools support it...Not specifically KES, I grant you but still very relevant to the thread - but definitely not about Bucks!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So you are saying that I can't respond to Yamin151's comment about in-school provision because I don't live in Warwicks?!!

She actually agreed with my observation ...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think she was agreeing with your observation that "you cannot generalise"....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's what I said ... in-school provision can be very good - if it isn't the school should change the teacher.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Getting back to Saturday's event, last year we gave DS the choice of continuing with the instrument he had played at primary or starting from scratch with a new one. He chose a new one and had thoroughly enjoyed the challenge this year.

On Saturday, the boys will be able to chat to the various teachers and current yr 7s, and also get to have a go with the instruments :D

Have fun!

JD
Dr_Dad

Post by Dr_Dad »

Thanks JD - looking forward to it - as is DS.
Dr_Dad

Post by Dr_Dad »

Went to the Music morning on Saturday, not too sure if any other forum members attended ? Good opportunity to try out some of the instruments and to chat with the boys, and teachers. Just wanted to say I was VERY impressed with the boys playing, and their conversation about their instuments - they did themselves, their school and their parents proud. Well done! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now