Predicted AQS for Warks GS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eagle88

Re: Predicted AQS for Warks GS

Post by Eagle88 »

Bect1969 wrote:I have been in touch with WCC with regards to rankings and potential changes due to various factors and they have said that they expect the AQSs to be similar to the last two years - in my mind this could mean a point or two move from last year.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this Bect ... I really hope that is accurate but the rankings this year are different for similar SDs from last year so I don't see how it can be. I suppose it depends what WCC mean by 'similar'.

Fingers crossed WCC are better at predicting AQS than me!
pegtastic

Post by pegtastic »

Bect1969 wrote:I have been in touch with WCC with regards to rankings and potential changes due to various factors and they have said that they expect the AQSs to be similar to the last two years - in my mind this could mean a point or two move from last year.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Bect, that's great news. It would seem then that they are planning for lots of movement...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

WCC may have a view on it, of course, but they don't set the AQS on their own. I believe it is the Committee of Referral, made up of a panel of Heads, a representative from the LEA etc.

Regardless of who sets it, it usually fluctuates, up or down, year on year, by one or two points, depending on test difficulty/scores/ranks/applicant preference and how much they are clustered. The minimum waiting list score (i.e. the minimum score at which you are allowed to sit on the waiting list) may vary more, year on year. 229 would be my minimum guess for AQS for KES (228 last year) but I can see it at 230/231 just based on the ranks I have. I can also see this being the year that scores will come down to distance, particularly from the waiting list, which is not something we hear about too much, usually.
pegtastic

Post by pegtastic »

kenyancowgirl wrote:WCC may have a view on it, of course, but they don't set the AQS on their own. I believe it is the Committee of Referral, made up of a panel of Heads, a representative from the LEA etc.

Regardless of who sets it, it usually fluctuates, up or down, year on year, by one or two points, depending on test difficulty/scores/ranks/applicant preference and how much they are clustered. The minimum waiting list score (i.e. the minimum score at which you are allowed to sit on the waiting list) may vary more, year on year. 229 would be my minimum guess for AQS for KES (228 last year) but I can see it at 230/231 just based on the ranks I have. I can also see this being the year that scores will come down to distance, particularly from the waiting list, which is not something we hear about too much, usually.
That makes sense Kenyan....and yes, I think distance will play a big part this year with so many sharing the same scores. Another reason why we are hoping the AQS is below our DS score as we live in Lapworth, and whilst safely in the priority circle, we are still some distance away from the GS's.

I know that several people have previously posted how far down the rankings went in previous years, in terms of offers. However, does anyone know where the rankings sat for the AQS's in previous years?
Rockjames

Post by Rockjames »

I think it would've safe to assume to add 2-3 points to each AQS of this year for the predictions for next.
I think KES will be 231 and possiblythe largest of the rises. A friend of ours' DS got 231 and ranked 106 and I think he might just sneak in with the doors closing behind him.
Eagle88

Post by Eagle88 »

pegtastic wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:WCC may have a view on it, of course, but they don't set the AQS on their own. I believe it is the Committee of Referral, made up of a panel of Heads, a representative from the LEA etc.

That makes sense Kenyan....and yes, I think distance will play a big part this year with so many sharing the same scores. Another reason why we are hoping the AQS is below our DS score as we live in Lapworth, and whilst safely in the priority circle, we are still some distance away from the GS's.

I know that several people have previously posted how far down the rankings went in previous years, in terms of offers. However, does anyone know where the rankings sat for the AQS's in previous years?
Okanagan has posted lowest rankings on 2013 offer day on the 'Historical data re qualifying scores for Warwickshire' thread ... not sure how to quote it here though.
C2SMum

Post by C2SMum »

Gav123 wrote:I can't really comment on the southern schools as I'm in the eastern area, but I would be surprised if the AQS jumps dramatically from the last couple of years for LSS, RHS and ASH.

A score of 215 for an eastern boy ranked him 80th this year out of all eastern boys and so an AQS of just under that is unlikely in my opinion, given that they take 120 boys.

Maybe that is just my wishful thinking though, given that my DS scored 210, which would have been comfortable in the last couple of years but is far more borderline this year! I don't think the scores are as bunched in the eastern area as they seem to be in the south - and of course there are fewer dcs who took the test in the east.

As you say though, we won't know until March...the wait continues! :?

I asked WCC about RHS for last year and they said that the lowest score offered by Rugby High School for 2015 entry on national offer day was 204. The ranking for girls residing in both eastern priority areas with this score was 117 out of 354 (with 8 others on this same ranking). Also that the lowest score offered off the waiting list was 200 which was a rank of 136 out of 354. So...might be just wishful thinking on my part too Gav123 as DD scored 206 and is ranked 111th, but I can't see that the Rugby schools will change that much either if RHS offered down to rank of 117 last year on first round of offers. But who knows... wonder if the clustering of higher scores in the southern area might impact on Eastern area...or is that unlikely???
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Eagle88 wrote:
pegtastic wrote:

Okanagan has posted lowest rankings on 2013 offer day on the 'Historical data re qualifying scores for Warwickshire' thread ... not sure how to quote it here though.

This one?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 37&t=30269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eagle88

Post by Eagle88 »

Yes, thanks KCG :)

Its the 8th post down ...
twincamturbo

Post by twincamturbo »

C2SMum wrote:
Gav123 wrote:I can't really comment on the southern schools as I'm in the eastern area, but I would be surprised if the AQS jumps dramatically from the last couple of years for LSS, RHS and ASH.

A score of 215 for an eastern boy ranked him 80th this year out of all eastern boys and so an AQS of just under that is unlikely in my opinion, given that they take 120 boys.

Maybe that is just my wishful thinking though, given that my DS scored 210, which would have been comfortable in the last couple of years but is far more borderline this year! I don't think the scores are as bunched in the eastern area as they seem to be in the south - and of course there are fewer dcs who took the test in the east.

As you say though, we won't know until March...the wait continues! :?

I asked WCC about RHS for last year and they said that the lowest score offered by Rugby High School for 2015 entry on national offer day was 204. The ranking for girls residing in both eastern priority areas with this score was 117 out of 354 (with 8 others on this same ranking). Also that the lowest score offered off the waiting list was 200 which was a rank of 136 out of 354. So...might be just wishful thinking on my part too Gav123 as DD scored 206 and is ranked 111th, but I can't see that the Rugby schools will change that much either if RHS offered down to rank of 117 last year on first round of offers. But who knows... wonder if the clustering of higher scores in the southern area might impact on Eastern area...or is that unlikely???
Unlikely in the 1st round of allocations. If you read RHS allocation document http://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/doc ... CC-699-163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it gives priority to catchment area applicants, those in the smaller inner circle gaining the best preference *always has been). Southern applicants, if there are any, will only be considered in the 2nd wave of offers and usually have to obtain a substanially higher score than the AQS. Also there are two separate commitees, one for the eastern block and one for the southern block. You should also note the section where it says they try and get the AQS as close to PAN as possible.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now