KES students 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gingerly67

Re: KES students 2015

Post by gingerly67 »

rimjhimm100 wrote:This has been very helpful - DS may be going to KES in Sept so all the information is very useful and so encouraging. Thank you!
For us the major change will be bus journey (currently school journey takes 35/40 min by car).
Already used to loads of homework and following the teachers around as they have almost all classes in different rooms. KES school day is infact shorter than our current school day but then the bus journey will be added of course!

Could anyone share some information please on the sports fields? I understand they are a good 15 min walk. I know DS will not be alone walking this walk with the kit and school bag etc but I'm sure he will find it difficult initially!

Infact, we are visiting KES again tomorrow. As DS has been interviewed at KES (Edgbaston) last week and also has another interview on Thursday at Solihull school, we thought it is best to remind ourselves how good KES is. Although we are sure KES is the way to go (we love this school!) it'll be wise to wait for 12th Feb to see what the other 2 schools offer. And fingers xd of course for the 1st of March for KES !!!
Good luck with your decision, rimjimm100, and for your DS's interview. We love KES too, so hope to see you there! My DS only has a 10-min car journey to school at the moment, but is REALLY looking forward to going on the bus. His primary give next to no homework, however, so that will be a big change.
What does your DS think about the introduction of Mandarin as first foreign language in Y7 and Y8? I've just noticed this on the school website. This came as a surprise to me as I was expecting them to start with French. An interesting and brave decision on the part of the school, I thought!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Y7s will study Mandarin and Latin and then, in Y8 will take a third language from Spanish, French or German. They will then be required to choose at least one of these (at the end of Y8) to take to GCSE.

Mandarin is the world's fastest growing language so even a base level in this will be useful. The interviews for the new post are taking place today. (As neither of my boys are particularly linguistic I am quite happy they aren't doing it!)
EllieMum

Post by EllieMum »

lovely, helpful thread, thank you for asking and replying, those who have!
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

I can see the advantages - Mandarin is definitely the/one of the languages of the future - and I'm intrigued as I'm a linguist myself but haven't ever learnt a non-European language. I'm just wondering how far they will get in two years, assuming it's a fairly difficult language. I'm also slightly disappointed my DS won't get the chance to learn two modern European languages and I think knowing e.g. both a Romance and a Germanic language gives you a good basis for any later language study. I'm all in favour of Latin, though, for the same reason (immensely helpful for English and learning other languages). DS is already asking me for something to replace 11+ work, so I suppose I'll just need to start him on some mum-taught language lessons!!
EllieMum

Post by EllieMum »

gingerly67 wrote: What does your DS think about the introduction of Mandarin as first foreign language in Y7 and Y8?
I'd not seen this, but think it sounds like fantastic, forward thinking, news. Where did you read about the Mandarin, gingerly67?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you look in the vacancies section, you can see all the information there.

Gingerly67 he probably liked spending time with you whilst you were tutoring - why don't you both go and do something completely different together like climbing or tennis?! Have a well earned rest from book studying - plenty of time for that - and they start all the languages from scratch, so no-one is at a disadvantage!
EllieMum

Post by EllieMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:If you look in the vacancies section, you can see all the information there.
Thanks kenyancowgirl.
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Gingerly67 he probably liked spending time with you whilst you were tutoring - why don't you both go and do something completely different together like climbing or tennis?! Have a well earned rest from book studying - plenty of time for that - and they start all the languages from scratch, so no-one is at a disadvantage!
I agree that this would be a better idea. However, hard as I try, I can't get DS interested in any particular sports/outdoor activities, though he likes going for walks. I've tried telling him the sport for him is out there, he just hasn't found it yet!! And he quite likes PE at school, though mainly because he finds the team aspect fun (doesn't mind being 'hopeless', as he puts it).
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

gingerly67 wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Gingerly67 he probably liked spending time with you whilst you were tutoring - why don't you both go and do something completely different together like climbing or tennis?! Have a well earned rest from book studying - plenty of time for that - and they start all the languages from scratch, so no-one is at a disadvantage!
I agree that this would be a better idea. However, hard as I try, I can't get DS interested in any particular sports/outdoor activities, though he likes going for walks. I've tried telling him the sport for him is out there, he just hasn't found it yet!! And he quite likes PE at school, though mainly because he finds the team aspect fun (doesn't mind being 'hopeless', as he puts it).

Why not take photos whilst you walk, or learn to cook, try a new musical instrument...there are lots of things you can do together that are useful skills (basic cooking is now taught at KES!) and help make for a more rounded pupil. Don't get me wrong, it's great that he is asking for work but the key thing about the school is that it wants its' pupils to embrace the whole education - sport, music, drama and academia - so if you can help spark an interest in the areas he is not as strong at, he is likely to enjoy the whole school experience a little more.

I am currently "sparking" my boys abilities in basic sewing - knowing how to hitch up a hem, or attach a button is a very useful life skill that, sadly, most children don't seem to have nowadays!
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

Great ideas thanks, kcg. I was just telling both my kids last night how I've often found it more rewarding to learn and make progress in things that don't come that easily to me, e.g. learning to drive/dance/knit... and looking after children! They then told me I was the best mum ever - don't think so, but they can obviously see I'm trying!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now