Bags for school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Bags for school

Post by Guest55 »

Not very secure were they though? Very easy to deface, heavy to move around and ruinous for tights. I don't mourn their passing.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The common remark at DDs School is that you can tell the year 7s as they have the really big, full bags.

It’s not down to lack of lockers as they all have a locker in their form room. They just haven’t learnt how to organise themselves yet. Given how much DD brings home at the end of the year I’m guessing they are tardis like, so it’s not down to lack of space either. The school do try and encourage them to pack their bags and use their lockers accordingly, but it seems to take a while for them to get used to it.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:Not very secure were they though? Very easy to deface, heavy to move around and ruinous for tights. I don't mourn their passing.
Find a way to add a lock and all is solved for dealing with today's generation. The defacing was part of their charm (though few really dared at my school for fear of punishment), and why would you need to move them around? Though, I agree, they were heavy; I still have a lump on my leg from where one fell on me. I still think it is a better solution than the current options. In fact, as an aside, I remember the classes with front facing wooden desks were well behaved compared with the scattered table lessons.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to move desks for cleaning and when you want to do group work. On an open evening tables can be moved to the side to allow display and people to actually walk around the room.

Tables can be wiped every day to keep them clean.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

On topic though (sorry for the diversion) I bought DS a £10 backpack from Tesco when he started GS, which fitted the bill (he doesn't worry about brands or keeping up with the Jones's). It has lasted nearly 3 years but a zip stopped closing the other week - I repaired it and the bag should make it to the end of term at the very least.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Guest55 wrote:Not very secure were they though? Very easy to deface, heavy to move around and ruinous for tights. I don't mourn their passing.
Not to mention, lethal on trapped fingers! :lol:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:You need to move desks for cleaning and when you want to do group work. On an open evening tables can be moved to the side to allow display and people to actually walk around the room.

Tables can be wiped every day to keep them clean.
Wood can be kept clean too, you know. And why would you want to rearrange a room for a parents evening? Surely parents want to see what the school is actually like - that is why you are always saying visit on a real day not an open day, isn't it?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are no lessons on an Open evening - we display books, texts and have activities in small groups of tables. Yes, it's not normal but parents want to come in and chat - no room in a daytime classroom set-up. If you want to see 'normal' classrooms come on an Open morning.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

ttcchh.. parents nowadays, eh? What did happen to all the desks and books btw? The facts didn't change just the pages needed to be studied surely?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Going way off topic - but topics and style of questions have changed massively in Maths.

Some schools send old books to other countries or recycle. No idea re desks as I've not seen one for well over 30 years.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now